San Carlos...places to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghetto Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello...getting my daughter certified and am looking at maybe doing our family vacation in San Carlos at the end of June.
My questions are...
Looking for a hotel on the beach, family freindly, with the option of shore diving.
Saw a couple of options online, but the decriptions are vague.
Any other pointers/advise would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Hi, Desrat, Welcome to ScubaBoard!!!

Most people go to the beach in the Bay of Dolphins - but there's not much scuba diving there. The depth is like 15 feet out several hundred yards. However, go out towards the west beyond the "Goat Teats" mountain and you do have better shore diving.

Where in our land-locked state are you?

BTW, we tend to hit the Best Western across from Charley's Rock. We go out on boats.

Another vote for the Best Western. It's not right on the beach, but great for the cost. Only decent shore diving in San Carlos is Lalo Beach and Frenchie's Cove, both right next to each other and neither with hotels right there.

Reactions: Jax
If Marina Terra is one of the hotels you're considering, know that the beach shown is a block down the road across the street. They have a golf cart to shuttle you to their beach club. The upside of Marina Terra is there's a couple decent restaurants within walking distance and almost (all?) the dive boats leave from the Marina there. We walk our gear over from there.

In case you haven't seen it - all things San Carlos are listed here: San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

Another option is to rent a condo from Fred Carter there - the value can be a little better than renting hotel rooms and since they're on the property, you get use of the hotel amenities. (at least the pools, wi-fi etc.) His office is in the Marina Terra building so it's convenient. http://www.oceanviewrealtyandrentals.com/ I rented Condo A17 - was as nice as it looks in the photos - and my friends rented Suite 302 - it's actually in the hotel tower. He also has some beachfront properties for rent weekly.

Was just there this past weekend. We stayed at the Posada condos. Nice rooms, all with a full kitchen, washer/dryer, pool + hot tub, and sat. Tv. They're right on the beach. 5min from the marina. We used el mar dive charters and received excellent service on the boat and great advice from the capt about conditions at each dive site. There is also a great little Greek( yes Greek) restaurant next door on the beach. The crab bisque ( crema de jaiba) at Los arbolitas is a must try. The only way I can describe it is that it tastes like happy. Would definitely go back and stay there again.

:cool3: Wow, that's a long trip from Mesa!

If anyone wants a cheep place in September, pm me! :wink:

(Very hot, very muggy!)

First trip to San Carlos, I would recommend the Marina Terra or Posada Condos. San Carlos Resort has nice beach and pool for family. However, the hotel is run down (although it has been two years since I stayed there).

Back
Top Bottom