Training difference between Master Diver and Dive Master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a MD I am proud of the certification. It may only be a gift from PADI, but, in order to get thae gift you must be an AOW diver, a rescue diver, for which you must have an EFR course or equivilant First Aid course, and have completed 5 specialty courses, and have 50 logged dives. Just remember I not only received a pretty new card but I also attended and passed exams for each and everyone of the 8 courses you need, and that isn`t counting the original OW cert!

The OW, EFR (in '06, not in '09) and Rescue courses each had exams (written). Only one of my specialties (Enriched Air) had one. What other specialties did you take that had exams?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Mine were the same.

Master Diver is a "recognition" level certification for recreational divers. Once you have completed an Advanced Open Water Diver course and a Rescue Diver (or Stress and Rescue, depending on agency) course you are then eligible for the recognition certification of "Master Diver".

That's not quite right, you have forgotten the 5 speciality courses, each involving 2-4 (I think) dives, which is something different from the 5 "adventure dives" of the AOW course.

Don't feel bad. This nomenclature difference is confusing to those unfamiliar with the diving business.

The two certifications are two completely different things...

Master Diver is a "recognition" level certification for recreational divers. Once you have completed an Advanced Open Water Diver course and a Rescue Diver (or Stress and Rescue, depending on agency) course you are then eligible for the recognition certification of "Master Diver". BTW with SSI, you also have to have at least 50 logged dives.

Dive Master is a "leadership" certification and with most agencies, it is the entry level Pro certification. The first step in becoming an instructor.

Hope that makes sense.

CFB
You forgot the % specialties you also need to be a Master Diver( makes for some more varied experience), where as for DM you need AOW rescue, EFR and 60 Dives, no specialties needed!

Deep Diver, Dry Suit, Altitude, Equipment Repair, Enriched Air , and Underwater Photography. They all had final exams.

You forgot the % specialties you also need to be a Master Diver( makes for some more varied experience), where as for DM you need AOW rescue, EFR and 60 Dives, no specialties needed!

What some people are getting at regarding the "recognition" aspect...

With PADI, the instructor needs to verify that you (1) passed the necessary courses, (2) have 50 logged dives, and (3) at least 12 years old.

With other agencies, it is another course. Not just a verification of previous accomplishments.

Back to the DM vs MD comment...

To obtain the DM rating, you actually have to complete a course rather than someone verifying your previous accomplishments.

master diver is a bunch of paid-for specialties and you get a nice card with *master diver* written on it to show your friends and 'divemaster' you are a tank jockey and do a load of manual labor such as lugging tanks to and fro boats and general dogsbodyship on top of the specialties (and you pay for it)

if you don't intend to go pro there is no earthly reason to pay for and put yourself through a divemaster course but IF you do make sure you discuss what non-diving labor you will have to do before you sign up and pay.

And, most importantly, you have to be willing to send them $41 for a plastic card.

The PIC from PADI costs 17.00 last time I bought one, so your LDS is probably padding on that when they charge you for it. I doubt MSD PIC has a higher price.

I think PADI would get less criticism if such courses as Underwater Photographer, etc. (there are at least 5 of them) were not eligible--not that they're not fun, informative courses, but I doubt they do much for diver safety & proficiency.

Wouldn't you agree that learning how to get a good photo while not crashing into the reef, which could cause you great pain if you were to touch the wrong thing (not to mention the damage you can do to said reef), has some safety & proficiency (eg buoyancy control & marine/aquatic conservation) benefit?

--

Being a DM has a lot of benefit if you have the personality to foster positive relationships with people in the community. You get to dive a heck of a lot more while having the opportunity to make a few bucks in tips. I certainly wont make back all I pay out for diving every year, but I can cover my insurance & membership dues easily. It's a lot more than humping tanks for some random instructor's class. In fact, it's very rare that I help with a class - I'd rather be working on the charter boat or out diving with friends!

I have heard that the various DM programs are similar, but need some clarification.

Since the NAUI DM course assumes the NAUI MD course was taken, but PADI does not have a similar MD class, does that mean the NAUI MD type of skills and knowledge are missing from a PADI DM, with the DM specific classes being so similar? Or does it mean that the PADI DM class includes the MD type of knowledge as a make-up? :confused::crazyeye:

A PADI DM could have the NAUI MD rating, but lets put that aside for this question...

:zen:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom