UW window opening tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are reciprocating air saws and cut off tools that need 90 PSI and consume between 10 and 20 CFM. The intermediate pressure (low pressure ports) on a scuba rig is somewhat higher (125 -145 PSI) but I would venture a guess that these tools will take it. As far as water immersion is concerned they are cheap enough to be thrown away after emergency use.

Did a call last July in the river on a Ford expedition. Upside down, was easily able to spring punch the side windows but not the rear tempered glass. I and another diver hit it many times all over, no go. I couldn't clear the vehicle and there was no direct tow truck access, so we ended up using a small tug like boat to pull it up stream in front of the boat launch ramp. Hooked the wrecker to it there and pulled it out. Victim was found in the rear area. So later I was thinking about wearing a big diamond ring to cut a circle in the glass but nobody would approve the purchase. Wife won't loan me hers.

Are you sure it was Tempered glass and not Laminated? A spring punch does a nice job on Tempered but is useless with Laminated.

Have any of you tried a powder nail gun for laminated.

The low charge is easy to control, the shells are easy to seal and sure beats trying to swing something.

I like the trigger controlled units myself. File:pAT.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That may be where we have to go to get that first hole in. But it's going to turn into a liability issue when the thing blows a hole in the glass and then nails a victim dead or alive.

We just have to keep in mind that a CD player is more valuable than a human life. Anything we are going to have to do to get past the lamination is taking valuable time that we don’t have to spare.

I got a chance to use a spring-loaded center punch on a vehicle recovery on Monday. I struggled with it at first as there was a pretty good current in the river. I am happy to report that on my previous attempts it was operator error! I was trying to put the punch in the center of the window. Once I tried it on the side it worked flawlessly. As a matter of fact I liked it so much I punched out all three remaining windows! Reaching in and grabbing the seatbelt made for good handholds in the current. The on scene law-enforcement personnel wanted me to hook up the vehicle through the windows and they advised me to do so. A previous attempt with a strap on the wheel had come unhooked. I would not recommend using dry gloves when you do this, As mine is no longer dry! :dork2: My zip in dry gloves will only be for comfort/ training on ice diving.

I was also pretty happy when I looked in the window and found the vehicle to be abandoned :cool2:

Here is the article from the local paper. Stolen car pulled from Rum River | The Isanti County News

I used to be the dive team leader but have since stepped down to someone who is much more talented and suited for the job. He recently joined scubaboard. His handle is detector guy :cool2:

the irony of the situation is we have river training(with strong current) scheduled for the end of this month

Thanks Shooter for the nice words, but I am not more talented by any stretch of the imagination, but I would say maybe a touch more "diplomatic". That is the great part of our small team... that we each have strengths, and we know how to use each one at the right times. Great job on the recovery! That current was rippin' at 6 knots. Lots of proud people up here on the way you handled it.

We have just started using these on our patrol and SWAT rifles. A short pipe can be utilized for UW applications.

YouTube - XS/CSAT Glass Assault Tool Demo

YouTube - Glass Assault Tool (GAT)

In looking at the demo video, this appears to be tempered glass which is held together it appears from Window Tint which was applied to the windows. You can do the same thing with a spring punch.

The problem arises from Tempered Glass which is the same used in Windshields. If you happen to have access to a junk car, please try this tool on the windshield and report back on your level of success at accessing the passenger compartment. Looking forward to your findings.

Regards,

Dan

We have a URT Team where I work at O'Hare Towing where we respond automatic with some FD/PD. If Victim Rescue/Recovery is complete we recover the vehicle. We Automaticly respond with Tow Truck (60 Ton) Rescue Rotator as well as the Dive Team Trailer with Float Bags etc. If FD/PD is going to do entire job they may use our equipment as we have a lot more Lifting Capacities/ Abilities with Bags or Tow Truck. We also now have special Tow Rope 300 feet in stead of pulling wire rope. We will soon be cross Training with the Dive Team not just Extrication/ TRT Teams.

We use window punchs all the time (Spring Loaded) in the corner and hasnt failed us yet.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom