Media Luna, Rich Henry and Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

southerngal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Let me first acknowledge that I am new to this board and new to scuba diving. I have never met Rich Henry nor have I ever even personally spoken to him. I have never stayed at Fantasy Island. I am one of the family members of Cajun Diva who recently went to Roatan to celebrate my father's 70th birthday. The only appropriate word for Media Luna and their staff is WOW! We did stop by Fantasy Island to change out tanks on a dive trip and I now want to personally thank Fantasy Island for not honoring my family's reservations! I also want to thank Rich Henry for all of his efforts to make our family trip so special. Yes, he could have just refunded our money...but then we would not have had the trip of a life time that we enjoyed. I am not trying to add any fuel to the fire or start any more speculation on the mess between FI and Rich. I am just trying to give an independent report on my experience in Roatan. Obviously, since this was my first dive trip, I don't have anything to compare it to. However, I have traveled quite a bit and can say that Media Luna is a wonderful, beautiful place and I would recommend it to anybody. The grounds are very well maintained. The staff are incredible. I traveled with my 12 & 3 year old daughters who did not dive. One day two of the staff members put on bathing suits and swam with my girls. They built sandcastles on the beach! Every day they were hugging and kissing them, bringing them on walks, and loving on my family. I have never experienced such hospitality. I cannot end my post without talking about the dive staff. Several of us completed our certification dives on this trip (including me and my 15 year old son) Claire was our instructor. I cannot say enough good things about her and Ricardo. She went on every dive with us to make sure the newbies were alright, even after we completed our certification. Ricardo took over her other job responsibilities so she could stay with us. They did not treat us like we were their job....they were like part of the group, enjoying every moment of our experience with us! They made me feel very safe and secure with my son on our first diving experience (which I have to admit I was quite anxious about but doing it for my Dad!) Because of them, I know this won't be our first and only dive trip! And Nelson! My one request was to see a sea horse. He made sure I got my wish! He brought us right to the most beautiful bright yellow sea horse!
Although our trip started out with lots of uncertainty, it turned out to be an amazing trip. You know the saying: things happen for a reason....we were truly blessed!

Hi Southerngal:
Welcome to Scubaboard & Welcome to the wonderful world of diving.
I have a list of a lot of highlights in my 70 years on this old earth, but
the nine days we all spent together on Roatan is definitely at the top.
Love
CajuncruDiver (a/k/a Dad)

I too am new to this board, and I, too, am one of the family members affected. Our experience at Media Luna was hands-down the most amazing week of my life. The grounds were absoultely breath-taking and the staff- OH MY GOODNESS- the staff. I was treated like royalty. I hae never ever seen so many smiles and such joy to please guests. One worker actually asked me for a hug and told me that was the highlight of her day! And I will say that I observed this treatment of EVERY guest- not just our group. Everyone from the maintenance workers, desk staff, wait staff, bartenders, even the fumigator, was always smiling and joyous and helpful.

I was looking forward to good diving as well as peace and quiet relaxation. I found both at Media Luna. The pool and beaches were perfect for lounging around with my kindle and the diving was superb. I want to take a minute to give special notice to Claire and Ricardo- our dynamic diving duo. Claire was so attentive to us new divers and made sure we were comfortable at all times. Ricardo and Claire made us feel as if WE were the treasures of the sea in their eyes, treated us like family, and made sure we got to see everything we dreamed of- including a nice size nurse shark!

I have no personal stake in the ongoings between Rich Henry and Fantasy Island, but I will say that I am honestly grateful for the way things worked out. Media Luna was a wonderful experience and the best vacation I have ever had. I can honestly say after visiting the properties of three other resorts, including Fanstasy Island, I would not stay anywhere BUT Media Luna. Beautiful grounds, breath-taking diving, amazing dive and resort staff- ahhh- I can't wait to go back. THANKS MEDIA LUNA- and Thanks RICH HENRY!

Last edited:
I am really glad the family had a great time. :coffee: And enjoy reading about the new resort and dive experience. But please... Oh pretty please... leave the FI and RH stuff to rest....:shakehead: I know your intentions are not to add fuel to the fire... But that's what it might end up doing... :shakehead:

But please, keep the writing about the resort and your experiences coming! It's great stuff to read! :coffee::coffee:

To Codman: I could bore you to death with stories! I could tell you about the great bartenders...the great guest relations group, the views, the incredible dives...you name it and I'll give you stories...would hate for you not to have some good reading to go with your coffee! And I will also take your advice!:D

Gal, let yourself loose with whatever you feel like sharing! I'm sure there are lots of people wanting more insight with this new resort!
Cheers!:coffee:

To Codman: I could bore you to death with stories! I could tell you about the great bartenders...the great guest relations group, the views, the incredible dives...you name it and I'll give you stories...would hate for you not to have some good reading to go with your coffee! And I will also take your advice!:D

I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THE RESORT NA D YOUR WEEK. I've been to FI, CCV and the West End I want to hear about your new find. Please SHARE.

The resort is beautiful. It is not hotel or condo style. It is individual huts. Each hut has a king bed, double beds or suites. The suites have two king beds and 2 baths. The bathroom has two sinks and a shower. The shower has a full glass window with only a small square around the face that is not frosted so that you have a wonderful view of the water while showering. There is air conditioning, Tv and fridge in every room. Room service comes daily to clean, freshen towels, make neat towel animals, etc. They also come daily for turn down services.
The grounds are very well maintained and everything adapts to the environment. There are walkways/decks everywhere so it really helps with the bugs. They also fog twice daily. They built everything aroung the environment so there are trees in the middle of the sidewalks. They have beautiful flowers everywhere and plenty of igunas to entertain you.
Coming from the South, I don't think I can brag on food at too many places. However, there was always plenty of options and everyone else in our group seemed to love the food. There was always something to satisfy everyone. The Chef is so full of life and eager to please. In fact, talking to most staff members....they work long hours and are away from their family for long periods....but all say it is worth it just to see a smile on a guest's face. It is their utlimate goal to please their guests....and they reach their goal daily!
Since this was my first dive trip I can't really compare it to anything else. But I have to say I think it has wondering diving opportunities. We did four dives from the shore for our certification dives. I also snorkeled that reef as well. The beauty that exists right off the shore is hard to describe. We saw lion fish during the snorkel. I was able to show my husband almost everything we saw diving just on the snorkel....only at a different view!. On the shore dive we also saw a nurse shark, along with plenty of other beautiful fish, crabs, lobster, shrimp, coral...you name it, I saw it....just don't always know what I saw yet! My husband saw two sting rays snorkeling from the beach. The boat dives were just as amazing. There were beautiful spots within just a few minutes of boat rides. Experienced or not, you should have no concerns going to Media Luna!

Sounds like somebody has Stockholm syndrome.

I still don't get the comparison. Sounds like Media Luna is all about the resort experience and Fantasy Island is all about diving. So how was this an apples to apples exchange? If people were booking vacations to Fantasy Island they were doing it for the diving not the thread count of the sheets. How would a diver who always booked trips at Fantasy Island to dive their butts off be happy at a resort that isn't centered around diving, doesn't offer the same dive, dive, dive experience. If you're so happy at Media Luna, why in the world were you going to Fantasy Island all the time? Why wouldn't you have always stayed at one of the more resort centric resorts on the island instead of Fantasy Island?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom