Unknown Shrimp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiverjackcook

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
At Eagle Reefs, off Santa Catalina Island, on May 4th, 2011, at about 30 FSW, Water Temp 62 degrees F, perched on a Southern Sea Palm, this is either one of the trickiest pieces of debris I have ever seen, or some kind of tiny shrimp. It was 5 centimeters or less long. Does anybody have any idea what this could be?

Attachments

• Unknown Shrimp-5041085.jpg
    Unknown Shrimp-5041085.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 86
Are you sure there's not a crab under there? Sometimes decorator crabs get so extreme with their decorating efforts they can hardly move around.
Rick

I looked at all of the decorator crabs that I have in my books and it seemed like the body shape was too elongated to be one of them. Nonetheless, if the crab was doing a lot of add-ons, like a balcony, a patio, and a storage shed, maybe it could be a longer shape. Thanks, Rick.

Just as an example of how carried away they can get, check out this one - and the next few photos - he had so much stuff on him he could hardly move... all he can do in any current is to hunker down :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom