Diving in Phoenix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I come to Phoenix every other year or so and could use recommendations for local dive shops and dive sites.

Most Phoenix diving is done at Lake Pleasant just north of town. It's cold water. Many of the other nearby lakes are too muddy and/or shallow. There's also a lot of boat traffic everywhere which doesn't help the visibility.

I often recommend El Mar Diving Center in Mesa or Scuba Specialties in NW Phoenix. We also have Sport Chalet's throughout the Valley, they sell gear and most do fills. Addresses etc: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/so...790-arizona-lds-list-last-update-04-11-a.html

I haven't lived in Arizona in a few years, but most of tjis information should still be good - Arizona dive sites

I haven't lived in Arizona in a few years, but most of tjis information should still be good - Arizona dive sites

Thanks, that was a very good site. I have heard people tube down the salt river. If I make that trip is there a good reason to bring a mask and fins to drift dive part of it?

there are quite a few of us that dive the salt river. It can be a lot of fun. Most people I know work the deeper pools, but I've known people to have drift dive it too.

there are quite a few of us that dive the salt river. It can be a lot of fun. Most people I know work the deeper pools, but I've known people to have drift dive it too.

That sounds really cool - like a treasure hunt! Are there any organized dives? I would like to try it some *really* hot summer day, but I don't anything about the river except through tubing it.

How deep are the pools? Do you have any GPS numbers or other info on their locations? Can sit on top kayaks be rented on the river?

Sorry I don't have any GPS numbers. The deepest pool that I have found is 30' but these change depending on flooding. Most of us dive either Sheeps Crossing or Pebble Beach. You can find this on a Forest Service map. Saguaro Ranch has sit on top kayaks that can be rented.

Jax, there are plenty of us that go there on a regular basis. When the season starts (which is just a few weeks away) I'll make sure that we let you know of any plans.

Sorry I don't have any GPS numbers. The deepest pool that I have found is 30' but these change depending on flooding. Most of us dive either Sheeps Crossing or Pebble Beach. You can find this on a Forest Service map. Saguaro Ranch has sit on top kayaks that can be rented.

Jax, there are plenty of us that go there on a regular basis. When the season starts (which is just a few weeks away) I'll make sure that we let you know of any plans.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom