Does Florida Always Suck This Bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to say the viz at Venice Beach sucked yesterday, but there would have needed to be some viz at all in order for it to suck...

Ahhhhhhhh...............we did a dive by braille. Unfortunately that can happen at Venice. Watch for a string of several days where the wind is out of the east. Viz will be better then. We did have a nice string going but then a front came through & we had what they were calling a disturbance (looked like another weak front to me) come through on Friday & that's what messed it up. If you are driving a distance it's a good idea to check the Venice Beach & Weather Stickie located in the Venice Fossil Divers Forum a few times before you hit the road. :)

Ahhhhhhhh...............we did a dive by braille. Unfortunately that can happen at Venice. Watch for a string of several days where the wind is out of the east. Viz will be better then. We did have a nice string going but then a front came through & we had what they were calling a disturbance (looked like another weak front to me) come through on Friday & that's what messed it up. If you are driving a distance it's a good idea to check the Venice Beach & Weather Stickie located in the Venice Fossil Divers Forum a few times before you hit the road. :)
Yeah, so I've heard. People are telling me viz in Venice runs for none to virtually none. Whilst I'm sure finding fossils is good and all, I'm not sure I'll be attempting it again. Had the same experience attempting the Sugar Barge last summer. I understand that I need to learn something about tides and easterly winds.

Or migrate to the Atlantic Coast of Florida, which seems like the place to be...

Getting to this thread a little late because I dont follow this particular forum but here are some observations:
1) sharkwatcher- as a PADI divemaster you may be just an entry level dive professional BUT you are generally the spokesperson for the dive industry because divemasters are the front line of the industry when dealing with customers.You need to conduct yourself accordingly.
2) sharkwatcher - as a moderator of Scubaboard - you are representing the owner and staff of Scubaboard- anything you say- whether its your opinion or not - reflects on the postion of Scubaboard
3)sharkwatcher- as an advertised "divemaster" for both Blue Water Explorers and Florida Underwater Sports anything you say reflects on their Business ethics.
4) I (Nitrogen Narcosis Dive Charters, Gary Donahue NAUI IT #44981) have personally dealt with and know both Bob(BWE) and Greg & Carl (FUSE3) and can tell all who are following this thread that sharkwatchers rant is not indicative or representative of either company or any dive establishment in Florida that I am aware of . I would certainly recommend either establishment for any of your diving needs.
5) to the OP - unfortunately the Florida gulf coast is relatively shallow and as a result , winds or greater than 10 knots from any west direction (sw,w,nw) has negative effects on the diving . Additionally ,any east winds greater than 15 knots on dive locations further than @5nm from land will also have those negative effects. With shallow waters and high wave frequency, 4 footers in the gulf are more formidable than say 7-8 footers in the Atlantic due to their low frequency.
6) I want to apologize to the OP for the conduct of "one of our own" and let him know that a phone call to any reputable dive charter,dive shop etc, will garner an honest observation of current conditions and recommendations before those trip plans are laid.
7) I expect that entire post will be deleted due to the the fact that I am calling out a SB moderator and thats fine , but those that are following will see it and word of mouth is more powerful than anything else !
Capt. Gary Donahue
NAUI IT #44981
Nitrogen Narcosis Dive Charters
Nitrogen Narcosis Charters - Home
gary@nitrogennarcosis.net
(941)232-0221

Lets jump right to item #10

10) lets close this thread with a Bin Laden - two shots of American Whiskey with a splash of water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom