Dx2G card size & type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

logcabinfarm

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone help me figure out the SanDisk cards I need for the dx2G. UltraII, sdhc, extremeIII, do I need to get a 16gb, or will an 8gb sdhc
work. Your response is greatly appreciated

I am using the Extreme III. The write speed is faster. I have 2gb cards and in RAW I get about 60 shots.

Can someone help me figure out the SanDisk cards I need for the dx2G. UltraII, sdhc, extremeIII, do I need to get a 16gb, or will an 8gb sdhc
work. Your response is greatly appreciated

You can use either the 8 gig or the 16 gig card.

4, 8 or 16 GB will work.
The additional issue some people aren't aware of is the "Class" of the card.

You will find SDHC cards with "Class 2", "Class 4", "Class 6" and recently "Class 10". These speed class numbers refer to the "minimum" sustainable write speed of the card as the card fills up. (Simplified: 2=2Mb minimum write speed for the card, 6=6Mb minimum write speed for the card, etc.)

So, not only are you looking for a memory card that will fit your camera, you are also deciding the minimum write speed you want from the camera (NOTE: all these cards will say they record at higher speeds than those minimums, and that is true. But, when the card begins to fill up???)
---

That was the simplified version, Here is the information
"As available memory becomes divided into smaller units through normal use, this leads to an increase in non-linear, or fragmented storage. The amount of fragmentation can reduce write speeds, so higher SD card speeds help compensate for fragmentation..."

If you'd like to read more on this subject:

SD Speed Class - SD Association

Good diving!

I recently bought SDHC 4GB Ultra II cards for my DX-1G and they work fine. However, I never understood the class speed. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Bill

The class of card only seems to effect video(especially playbac on the camera). A class 2 card seems suffient. I would guess that a slower card effects capture as well, you just don't see the frames it drops when the card gets behind.

I generally use 2-4Meg cards, depending on how much shooting I'm going to do. Most pros recommend using more cards with smaller memory, rather than trying to stack everything on one large disc.

That way if you have a card failure, (which does happen), or something else should happen to one of them, you don't loose your entire trip. I also keep all my memory cards in a "film safe" bag when I travel, just for extra protection.

I actually don't worry too much about speed, but if I they are available when I'm buying, I try and buy the fastest ones I can get.

4Meg cards work well for me on dive trips. Shooting RAW I get 173 shots per card.

I use one card per day. On dive days I use 4Meg cards, usually getting a 2 tank dive trip and any addtional photos I may take throughout the rest of the day. Switching out the card the next morning, during set-up, and lableing the one I take out with either "day 1, 2, 3..." or the actual date.

Back
Top Bottom