changing lens underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monko_83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all

Looking to get fish eye fix uwl-04 wide angle lens for my housing and have inon macro lens. Just want to get other people experience of changing between lens underwater for various photos.
Is it easy enough to do underwater? does it take up alot of time - what are other peoples experience of this. Do people normally attach lens to arm or in BCD pocket?

thoughts would be appreciated

regards

mark

Hi all

Looking to get fish eye fix uwl-04 wide angle lens for my housing and have inon macro lens. Just want to get other people experience of changing between lens underwater for various photos.
Is it easy enough to do underwater? does it take up alot of time - what are other peoples experience of this. Do people normally attach lens to arm or in BCD pocket?

thoughts would be appreciated

regards

mark

Depends upon the type of lenses and housing that you have. I have the following lenses that I use routinely with my FIX90 (same as current Recsea95):

Inon UFL165AD -AD bayonet mount
Inon UCL165AD - AD bayonet mount
Inon WAL100-67 with Dome - 67mm thread
Fisheye UWL-04 - 52mm thread

When I plan to switch lenses between macro, wide angle and occasionally no lens, I set up to use my Inon AD bayonet lenses. These are easy and simple and fast to change underwater and I store them on the tray.

I do not recommend placing a lens in a "BCD" pocket as it will be ruined from scratches.

Most of the time I shoot wide angle and close focus wide angle and wide angle macro and when I do this I tend to use the Fisheye UWL-04 and I leave it on for the entire dive as it threads on and is too much trouble to change out, change lens adapters and switch over to my Inon UCL165AD. It would be equally frustrating to use a UCL165-67mm macro lens as you would have to remove the Fisheye UWL-04 and switch out to a 67mm adapter since the UWL-04 is 52mm.

What camera and housing are you using again? :idk:

N

I have been using one or two Inon UCL165's as well as the Inon UWL100 for a while. I carry them all with me on an Inon holder mounted to the UCLS arm for my left strobe (I'm right handed). It's easy enough to put them on and take them off and gives you great flexibility in what and how you can shoot on any given dive. I never get over being nervous about putting them on or taking them off underwater, however.....the thought of that sick feeling in your stomach as you watch the lens fall into the deep blue or a crack three feet deep and just wide enough for it go into... I have the 67mm threaded ones and I suspect the bayonet would be the better way to go but I have never used the bayonet. I agree with Nemrod, don't put them in a BC pocket unless you want to scratch them. Have fun, Mark!

I used both WAL and Close-up wet mount lenses for years with my old Olympus setup. I had both mounted to lens docks on my homemade tray. The WAL is heavy and will sink faster than you can swim after it if you drop it. I had a leash on mine which was attached to the tray. I can remember dropping it a few times while attaching or un-attaching it.

Both my lenses were thread mounted and IMO were a pain in the a*@. The threads on the WAL eventually stripped out and I had to replace the lens ring. IMO bayonet mount lenses are the way to go if possible.

I've stored mine in my BC pocket without damage, but it's hard to get them in and out. I had to have my buddy zip the pocket for me. If you use threaded lenses, it's a good idea to put them on a leash. You can buy one or make one out of fishing line. I had a 58mm threaded lens designed for a Nikonos 5 and had to us a 46-58 step ring for it on my Olympus. I just loctited the step ring in place on the lens with blue loctite and threaded the whole thing onto the camera.
Two issues come up. First, be careful not to cross thread and strip your lens or port as Gilligan mentioned. Second, don't over tighten the lens, as when you try to remove it underwater, you can unscrew the port and destroy your whole set-up. I started to do it once and fortunately noticed the port turning and caught it in time to retighten and grip the port tightly while removing the lens. I also recommend using a little Lanacote on the threads to prevent corrosion, though I didn't have that problem as I never left them threaded together between dives when they're exposed to Oxygen.
If you can't find a lens caddy for your lens size, you can make one using a step adapter and a piece of aluminum strap. Just drill two screw holes, tap them and attach the step adapter to the strap. You can get 1/4 20 Stainless steel thumb screws online to attach the caddy to your tripod mount or tray.

IMHO, you will take better pictures if you start each dive with one goal (ie. macro, wide angle) and stick with it for the whole dive.

Dave

That's because you have a DSLR and you have to :wink:

05.gif

i agree with that last statement gilligan. At least with compact photography u can start out taking pics say of nudibranch with maro lens and then when a group of mantas appear unexpectedly u can disconnect macro and attach wide angle lens and get a great shot!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom