NC: Scuba diver dies after rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wanted to share what little information had been added. There currently seems to be no medical reason for this tragedy. Futher toxicology results will take weeks. I just wanted to post an update even though it seems uninformative.

Thanks for posting. I know this is a painful topic for you and I appreciate you posting in the event that it can help others. I too was suspecting a medical event of some kind, or at the least, a diving related seizure.

Unfortunately, there are a number of ways someone could pass out momentarily, and not even know it. On land, you simply continue to breath unconcious. Under the water, you can lose your regulator, and drown. From what I understand, rescuing an unconsious diver is extermely difficult, even for someone with rescue diver training. It is a risk we all take when we dive. I really hope they find out what went wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

What are some of the way you could pass out momentarily? Only once did I feel like it was possible. Called the dive and surfacing alone feeling like I could pass out was kinda scary. Turned out I was at the beginning of pneumonia. What are other possibilities?

What are some of the way you could pass out momentarily? Only once did I feel like it was possible. Called the dive and surfacing alone feeling like I could pass out was kinda scary. Turned out I was at the beginning of pneumonia. What are other possibilities?
A couple I can think of...

1: Hyperventilate then over equalize with breath hold - can take just an instant at times.

2: Carbon Dioxide (CO2) buildup from overworking.

I got a Manta mouth piece when I got dentures, which also helps avoid other reg loses.

The list is far too long to go into here unless someone else wishes to make a very very long post.

Syncope can be from a variety of cardiac causes, neurological causes, postural changes, respiratory causes, and so on.

Think of it as anything that can cause hypotension, hypoxia, hypoglycemia, etc.

In the absence of a diagnosis of syncope prior to the dive, only some of these would be able to be determined on autopsy. But as a very experienced diver, many of them are unlikely to have presented themselves for the first time on this day.

This is a very simple answer to a very complex question.

Ok I thot of a couple that could happen to a typically healthy person as I mentioned above.

Here is a lengthy article on Syncope (medicine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - the medical term for fainting.

I've also had other experiences like heat exhaustion but I don't think that would apply underwater.

The other day my brother was squating down and when he stood up, he passed out and fell over. I didn't know what was going on until I saw him struggle to regain focus, and asked me what had happened. Apparently if he's just slightly dehydrated his blood pressure will drop and certain things can cause him to pass out. He's 22, and in excellent physical condition.

The other day my brother was squating down and when he stood up, he passed out and fell over. I didn't know what was going on until I saw him struggle to regain focus, and asked me what had happened. Apparently if he's just slightly dehydrated his blood pressure will drop and certain things can cause him to pass out. He's 22, and in excellent physical condition.
I used to really scare my mom as a teen when I'd get up from a reclined position, walk, faint & crash. I think puberty may have been involved, but it's not that uncommon - see Fainting -- familydoctor.org just not likely in the water.

From that same article, I was surprised to see this excerpt...
Coughing, urinating and stretching can also get in the way of the flow of oxygen to the brain and may cause you to faint.
I've gotten light headed stretching but never peeing - and who doesn't pee on safety stops?

You know, the little bit we know about the story reminds me of Denton Byers' death. That was also a situation where nothing should have been problematic, but a diver hanging onto the anchor line ended up dying, and the death was apparently due to embolization. I wonder if the boat in this case was riding up and down a great deal? Hanging onto the anchor line may be riskier than we realize.

I can assure you this accident was nothing like Denton Byer's death and I'm rather surprised you would even mention it if you read the USCG accident report.

The sequence of events as posted in post #14 and post #17 are as they occurred. The USCG secured Dan's dive gear and computer for analysis. During the boat ride out and Dan's water entry that Sunday, he appeared to be ok. The only thing we don't know is what physically happened to Dan at 100' on the Schurz. An autopsy might or might not reveal this. Dan's death was tragic. Something I, nor the rest of the people on the boat that day, never want to experience ever again!!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom