Dive boat dive guide VS my computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jan 2003.... Thats more than 3 years... or is it really only 2006 now?

Oops! see what happens when the mind is engaged before coffee? :coffee: Ah, much better now, yes, its 2011....

This thread caught my eye, as the OP is a personal friend and has been out of diving since his daughter was born ... she's four now ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Someone did a little digging to bring this back from 3 years ago. Things a little slow?

Some things demand some serious thinking before answering.

Why rush to a judgement within minutes, days, weeks or even months. A near decade allows all sides and permutations of the question to be fully considered before leaping to a fast conclusion. :wink:

Some things demand some serious thinking before answering.

Why rush to a judgement within minutes, days, weeks or even months. A near decade allows all sides and permutations of the question to be fully considered before leaping to a fast conclusion. :wink:

perhaps gaining experience to properly answer?

Just checking for an answered about conservatism of the Suunto dive computer. As we are all looking at this thread I'll ask a question.

The suunto dive computer as Conservatism ratios: By default P0, more P1 and a lot more P2

If I dive in an easy dive, no current. But COLD temps and drysuit and such. Should I use more conservatism? Or should I just leave it at P0.

ahahah the last post was 1 month ago.

Anyways the question is still on.

So, in the future, should I do what the DMs have planned, or listen to my NAUI table and computer?

Jimmie

Hi Jimmie,

Just do as you were trained, it's easy to fall into the trap of going along with what's being told to you. As you mentioned, especially when it's a DM that might be trying to convince you to ignore your computer.

Just follow your training, stay with your teammate, and don't be swayed to deviate from your plan.

-Mitch

**Grrr...sorry for the Necro post. ;-)

Last edited:
Isn't it diving 101 to dive the most conservative profile if there are two options? so even if the OP's computer was "wrong" he should dive that plan if its the more conservative.

The rule is to dive to the most conservative computer when diving in a group or with your buddy. I would like to see you start your ascent with about 4 minutes or more of NDL time. In your circumstance you could have easily ascended about 10 feet to gain some additional minutes while you waited for the group to start their ascent. I think it was wrong for for the DM to tell you your computer was wrong, because it wasn't, just more conservative. There are lots of divers and yes even DM's who think they are the smartest people on the earth and know way more than any certifying organization, doctor, etc. Their ego will catch up with them eventually. No diver should feel bad or inferior when diving to what they were taught. There are tons of experienced divers who have bad habits...don't become one of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom