Hello from sunny South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sp00nman

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all

I have been diving for a little over 3 years now and am currently AOW & Nitrox certified through PADI.

I have decided to take the plunge and will be heading to Koh Tao, in Thailand to do my Rescue diver and DM training.

Needless to say i am extremely excited! One month to the day till i leave! YAY!

Thanks for a great forum!

Hey Spoonman. Enjoy doin ur rescue and dm there in Thailand, the rescue course will be a real fun thing to accomplish

Hi!
We are almost one month to the day that we will be diving in South Africa on the east coast north of Sodwana Bay at Rocktail Beach Camp. Do you happen to know this area? We are hoping for Sardine Run, possible mantas and humpbacks?
Thanks for your reply.
We have the sam certifications AOW and Nitrox.
Have a GREAT time in Thailand with your Rescue and DM training!!

Hey spoonman'
I did my rescue dive course in feb in thailand, phuket was great- dived 39 dives also for 50,000baht was a better experience because of the large dive boat with lots of diver to see lots of different situations that are possible in a short time, I was there a month. Koh Tao should be good this time of year- take some meds with you for travellers diarrhea incase! and don't eat uncooked food is a wise rule.
Have a safe and happy trip, mate!
Damo'

Hi!
We are almost one month to the day that we will be diving in South Africa on the east coast north of Sodwana Bay at Rocktail Beach Camp. Do you happen to know this area? We are hoping for Sardine Run, possible mantas and humpbacks?
Thanks for your reply.
We have the sam certifications AOW and Nitrox.
Have a GREAT time in Thailand with your Rescue and DM training!!

Hi Spagetti,

Allow me to answer this question addressed to Spoonman. Of course he might have more to add.

I have personally never dived at Rocktail Beach itself but have dived the general area a lot. Rocktail Beach Camp is a famously upmarket camp and I'm sure you will love it. I daresay you'll find few South Africans who can offer a lot of gen on Roctail Beach as it probably falls outside the budget of most of us locals. It certainly falls well and truly outside of my budget.

That said, the reefs you will be diving form part of the same reef system that we're diving from Sodwana Bay Lodge. You will probably be doing a fair amount of diving on 9 mile reef which is one of the real sought after reefs for Sodwana Bay divers, mostly because of it's distance from Sodwana Bay (9 miles).

Whalesharks and Mantas are always a possibility but by no means guaranteed. To be honest, as wonderful as the diving on the northern east coast of South Africa is, Whalesharks and Mantas are still to be considered a rare treat, not a regular occurrence.

As for the Sardine Run, chances are you will be too early as the water might not be cold enough yet in mid June. Apart from that though, the Sardine Run passes quite far off shore on the northern east coast than it does further south and I think it is safe to say that you won't see any of it - sorry. What you might get is an increased number of predatory fish in the general waters but for the Sardine Run itself you'd have to dive much further south down the coast.

Hope that helps. Enjoy Rocktail!

Hi Guys

Thank for the replies! Its awesome to see so many other Saffers on the board!

Spagetti - Deefstes has hit it on the head! Sodwana bay has some of the most beautiful & and densely populated reefs I have ever seen and i have no doubt the diving will be spectacular!!

I was actually in Sodwana over the Easter holidays (+/- 6 weeks ago)and we were really lucky.

We saw manta's (some as big as 6m-8m wing span) on 5 separate occasions over 5 days of diving (10 dives)!

With any luck you will have the opportunity to experience them too! Enjoy your trip.

Back
Top Bottom