2nd stage air tube construction, metal vs plastic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Metal is definitely better:
  • Less dry mouth: the humidity of the air you exhale stays inside as condensation
  • Longer lasting: the part where the lever contacts the barrel is subject to wear
  • Less freezing: metal is much better at heat transfer

Metal is definitely better:
  • Less dry mouth: the humidity of the air you exhale stays inside as condensation
  • Longer lasting: the part where the lever contacts the barrel is subject to wear
  • Less freezing: metal is much better at heat transfer

That is what I think as well. The funny thing is I just open up a 2nd stage from a popular brand's top of the line regulator. Guess what I saw, plastic air tube. This got me thinking that how is the general quality and workmanship of this brand's product.

I wonder which of the current production 2nd stages have at least 2/3 of the barrel made of metal? The last 1/3 is to deal with the adjuster/plug.

Those that I know:
  • Scubapro G250V, A700
  • Apeks, most if not all models
  • Aqualung Legend, LX: same as Apeks

The S600 has a plastic barrel. That's probably what you're talking about. The 'advantage' for the manufacturer is that it's cheaper, lighter, and is not subject to corrosion.

The metal barrel will help moisten and warm the air, although a full metal case is what really does this best. Actually, 2nd best, because a double hose is by far the best for lack of drymouth.

Dry mouth is not a problem with my Aqua-Master double hose. All my single hose regs are Conshelfs with metal second stages. Very little dry mouth problem there.

I recently bought my twelve-year-old son a new Calypso with an all plastic, diver-adjustable second stage. I added an old, all metal Aquarius second stage to it as an octo. Guess what? He prefers the Aquarius second to the new plastic second because he says it breathes just as well and he doesn't get dry mouth.

The Zeagle 2nds (ZX at least) have full metal air barrels (but use a plastic orifice :( ) Nice breathing 2nd's, simple to service and tune. I believe the HOG 2nds do as well (and use a metal orifice I believe)?

Best wishes.

All Zeagle second stages use a metal air barrel. Zeagle's replacement orifices are now metal. Can't say I've paid a whole lot of attention to what orifices their new second stages are coming with.

The Zeagle 2nds (ZX at least) have full metal air barrels (but use a plastic orifice :( ) Nice breathing 2nd's, simple to service and tune. I believe the HOG 2nds do as well (and use a metal orifice I believe)?

Best wishes.

I was rebuilding my zx yesterday and it had a metal one. The reg is from beginning of year 2009

All Zeagle second stages use a metal air barrel. Zeagle's replacement orifices are now metal. Can't say I've paid a whole lot of attention to what orifices their new second stages are coming with.

I was rebuilding my zx yesterday and it had a metal one. The reg is from beginning of year 2009

Good to know guys, thanks. My ZX's are older, and of course have metal air barrels, but have the plastic orifices.... maybe I'll order a pair of metal ones next time I rebuild!

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom