canon s95 + ikelite housing + 15mm dyron wet lens = ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

esaav22

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aloha,

I have the s95 & ikelite housing. I'm thinking about adding on the dyron 15mm wet lens. Has anyone used it? Comments? sample shots?

It sounds really, really good on paper, but i haven't heard comments from users or have seen actual sample shots.

Any advise? If anyone has any sample photos that they would like to share, that would really help a lot!

thanks,

-erik

Last edited:
Hi there

I have a Canon S95 with Ikelite Housing and the Dyron 15mm WA lense. It all fits together nicely and I've taken it into the water but it was a deep, dark dive and without a strobe my pics came out very very dark and very very grainy. Very very disappointing.

Hope to get it in the water this weekend and will post some photos for you.

Not much use to you right now, I know, but I promise to keep you updated.

:D

Hi

As promised here are the first shots taken with my Canon S95 in Ikelite Housing with the Dyron 15mm lense. I have not edited or cropped the photos at all, so what you see is what I got.

I was expecting crisper images throughout the picture and am quite disappointed with the results as it appears out of focus for most of the image. Perhaps I am doing something wrong? I am definitely focussing correctly. The Canon is an excellent camera but these photos do not do it justice.

Also, I have done 5 dives with this lense and am very very careful with my camera equipment, My camera never goes anywhere near the sand sand and I already have sand inside of the lense :depressed:

I don't know how to post Picasa photos into a post so here's the link....

https://picasaweb.google.com/KateJonker/DyronWAPhotos?feat=directlink

I was expecting crisper images throughout the picture and am quite disappointed with the results as it appears out of focus for most of the image. Perhaps I am doing something wrong? I am definitely focussing correctly. The Canon is an excellent camera but these photos do not do it justice.]

I have the same setup only with an S90. Haven't gotten the Dyron lens wet yet, but I'm hoping my results are different than yours (BTW, sorry about your results). Did you set your camera in macro mode? I've read that you need to put it in macro mode and leave it there when you're using the 15mm Dyron. I won't be able to post any of my results here until late July ... we'll compare then. I'd like to hear Scott Gietler's (US Dyron rep's) take on this in the interim.

Last edited:
Hello

I have now added the photo settings to the bottom of each picture.

In summary:

Sponge photo:#127 - macro, ISO320, 1/125, F2
Sea Urchins and anemones:#131 - macro, ISO320, 1/125, F4
Swimming through gully: #134 - not macro, ISO320, 1/125, F4
2 fish above reef: #138 - not macro, ISO320, 1/125, F6.3

Perhaps my settings were not correct?

I had to shoot on ISO 320 as it was quite dark.

Hopefully they will get better. And hope yours are better too!!

:depressed:

Still looking for some input here, Scott!!!

Still disappointed..... I am having to crop each and every photo (shot in macro) taken with my WA lense. Kind of defeats the object. Can anyone shed any light on this? Did I read somewhere there was a faulty batch? What about the people who bought these lenses? Will they be replaced?

Any update would be appreciated.

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom