Stranded Pilot Whales need your help in Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey gang,

We have almost left the dock here in Bayou le Batre, but I wanted to check in and encourage EVERYONE to keep it up. I'll be gone for a couple of weeks, and it will be cool to see how they have improved.

Also, if you would be so kind, tell them how you heard about this! They need to know that they can count on Scuba Divers for these kinds of efforts.

Im out of the country so i cant help but i've posted the number/website and list of things needed on another Miami forum i hang out at.

I spent the evening with the gals. The wind generated waves making standing still somewhat challenging, but it did die down after a bit. The pilot whales are improving. Two are eating fish (stuffed with medicines & supplements) now, the other two are still being tube fed. The calf will be on her special formula for a while longer. Like any baby on formula, she did regurgitate some of it. The gals are starting to feel better and be more interactive. 300 is starting to learn some of the hand signals and behaviors from the trainers. She got all excited smelling the food and was literally chomping at the bit for her capons and herring. I heard this morning that the calf, 301, got frisky last night and made a dash for it....twice. Senior staff jolted quickly to rodeo her back into position.

It was nice to see that there were plenty of volunteers around last night to help out on the 8p-midnite shift, but there is still a huge on-going need weekdays and weeknites particularly from midnite to 8am. Call 305-451-4774 for more information.

Wow. I was available and spent a 12 hr shift from 8 last night to 8 this morning. Coffee, Mountain Dew and Cuban Coffee are my friend! Was good seeing you Elena. Would have liked to have met up later, but we were ready to head north :zzz: Quite the excitement with that little rodeo cowgirl of a whale making a break for it and the staff suddenly becoming offensive tackle! She's a little pistol! Talking with the volunteers at the time told the story of she getting all sweet with them waiting for them to let their guard down...sneaky, sneaky! Good thing is that for as scary those couple seconds were it was encouraging to know that they are getting better!
I had the fortunate experience of being on #302 for a few hours. I was in secondary position. I was responsible to making sure the fluke didn't touch the canopy pole and freak her out. They are now using 4 people per whale vs 2 or 3 per whale when I was there last on Friday. I think part of it is because they have lots of volunteers and the whales are starting to feel better... as evidenced by #301's foiled escape plan! LOL. For the most part #302 was calm. When #301 made her first break, #302's heart rate went up and she started tweeting to her friend. I think all our heart rates went up! The second time, we were more prepared and kept calm.. and #302 responded in kind. They know we are there to help.

CURRENT NEEDS!
HEAVY EXTRA LARGE GARBAGE BAGS
WETSUITS
WETSUIT HANGERS

When you come down, please bring your wetsuit and booties. If you need to borrow one, there is no guarantee you will get in the water as you must have a wetsuit to assist with the whales. If your wetsuit is a front zip, bring a t-shirt to wear over it so the zipper will not rub. No long fingernails, and a hair tie for long hair is necessary, especially if it is breezy.

Oh, yeah, one other thing.. they caught a decent sized lionfish in the pen yesterday/early morning Monday.

Just out of curiosity…has anyone at the MMC looked at possibly utilizing a type of “floatation sling device” like the one the Vancouver Aquarium has used on harbor porpoise from a recent stranding in their area? If you look at the link: it shows a picture of one they used on a harbor porpoise named Siyay (See-Ya).

Untreatable condition killed rescued Saltspring Island porpoise: veterinarian

I know that harbor porpoises are a lot smaller than pilot whales: but concept would be the same: just a larger sling and more floatation. It could provide the relief in needing volunteers to support the whales. They used the same device on another harbor porpoise they had named Daisy. She successfully recovered. But due to the fact she was a yearling: she was not suited for release back into the wild. She is healthy and thriving today at the Aquarium.

Sadly, Siyay died after 18 days due to an infection to the brain. But they are investigating why would a marine mammal die from an infection carried by an opossum.

Anyway, hopefully someone would pass this on to the people at the MMC to look at that type of floatation sling.

Lock Washer

Hi lock, MMC did use a similar apparatus on 401 when he was at his weakest shortly before he had to be euthanized. (See Netdoc's post # 17) The remaining whales are getting stronger and healthier....and friskier with the natural urge to move. And they have to move to keep from cramping up. Their tails can cramp into a C-shape which can lead to scoliosis. They get physical therapy periodically to encourage them to stretch out their muscles.

Hi lock, MMC did use a similar apparatus on 401 when he was at his weakest shortly before he had to be euthanized. (See Netdoc's post # 17) The remaining whales are getting stronger and healthier....and friskier with the natural urge to move. And they have to move to keep from cramping up. Their tails can cramp into a C-shape which can lead to scoliosis. They get physical therapy periodically to encourage them to stretch out their muscles.

Thanks for replying back. Another variation I have seen on a "floatation sling device" was a fitted wetsuit made for a Melon-headed Whale at another rehab facility. Basically it covered the middle section of its body, but had cutouts for the blowhole, dorsal, and pectoral fins. It did provide bouyancy support, along with sun, and thermal protection to the animal while it was in recovery.

Interesting note: Melon-headed Whales along with pilot whales fall in a catagory they use to call Blackfish.
The Blackfish Dolphin group consisted of:
Killer Whale (Orca), Orcinus orca
Long-finned Pilot Whale, Globicephala melas
Short-finned Pilot Whale, Globicephala macrorhynchus
False Killer Whale, Pseudorca crassidens
Pygmy Killer Whale, Feresa attenuata
Melon-headed Whale, Peponocephala electra (sometimes called "the electra dolphin" in the Philippines)

Anyway, thought I would share this bit of Cetacean Information.

Lock Washer

Went back down today for a shift. Lots of volunteers were ready and willing to get into the water. I went down with some friends who hadn't been down yet and they were able to get in and help out after a long wait. I got to scribe. When we arrived the first thing I noticed was a large pool set up with a canopy. I thought it pretty impressive for an alternative to the lone shower but was quickly informed that it was an isolation tank.. just in case. Thankfully, it was not used today.
I heard 301 had another bad dream last night....
After a breakfast of vitamins, drugs and other stuff, one of the whales (drat it, I can't remember which one and I wrote it down, think it was 301) did some free swimming for food, learning hand signals and a fish reward. Beautiful. The other whales were free swimming, unaided except for a pool noodle. They got about 1/2 hr. Then back under the canopy.
A little while later a hearing test was set up for 303. Don't know the reason she was picked, but they do know she could hear. The other whales again free swam. Staff was in the water with them and a few volunteers were tasked to act as bumpers along the sides while the hearing test was going on.
It was a good day.

Enjoy. Be prepared to wait a while to get into the water. But, you need to be there on time for the orientation. Seems the shift changes and the whales needs do not coincide sometimes.

Did the midnight-4AM shift last night. 300 was my girl. She has a curve and a list. After 4 hours, I did not think that I would ever be able to straighten up again. It was work but well worth it. Was in the water most of the night. It is the place to be. The whales are incredible.
Half of the shift did not show up. No relief for the people in the water. I am sure that MMC turned away people, who would have shown up, because they thought they had a full crew. If you can't make it, at least give them as much notice as possible. I saw walkups turned away because we thought that we had enough.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom