Mariner's Learning System Experience...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc & Mselenaous,

How goes the MLS class? Which class did you both sign up for? I'm looking to start my OUPV but keep debating on whether or not to do that one and upgrade it down the way or jump right to the Master 25. So how's it going and what difficulties have you experienced so far with it?

Thanks,
N2Deep

I had been on the water my whole life and was offered to captain a boat. They would pay me and for the course, it was a win win situation! I chose MLS system with great success! I worked full time (for myself) and could spend as much or as little time with each section of the course. I did have some trouble at first, having been away from school for twenty years. Boy did I forgot how to study!? I did learn alot and can reccomend this system with confidence!
See you topside! John

if you apply for your masters, but your on water time is six pack..........how does that work ( I own a 25' and operated it for years)

Your Sea Time can be used for your Masters or your OUPV Six Pack by completing the small vessel sea service form which we provide. You will achieve a 25GT Masters if all of your sea time experience is on your 25' boat.
Sea Time Requirements

USCG Operator’s License (6-pk)

Uninspected vessels <6 passengers up to 100gt/100 miles offshore At least 360 days of boating experience including 90 days offshore. 90 within past 3 years. If you do not have coastwise experience, you can get an inland license. Non U.S. Citizens may be restricted to undocumented vessels with a 5 net ton limit.

USCG Master Inland/Mate Near Coastal

Inspected or Uninspected vessels up to 100gt on Inland Waters At least 360 days of boating experience including 90 within the past 3 years. If you have 180 days of offshore experience, you can also get Mate Near Coastal (200 miles) license. If you only have 90 days of offshore time, you can also get OUPV near coastal. If you do not have any nearcoastal sea service, apply for a Master Inland. If all sea time is under 5gt you will get 25gt, If 90 days is over 5gt, you will get 50gt license, If 180 are over 34gt, you will get 100gt license.

USCG Master Near Coastal

Inspected or Uninspected vessels up to 100gt on up to 200 miles offshore At least 720 days of boating experience including 360 days offshore and 90 within past 3 years. If all sea time is under 5gt you will get 25gt license, If 180 days is over 5gt, you will get 50gt license, If 360 is over 34gt, you will get 100gt license.

Note: When you get the sea time for the full master near coastal, you simply process the paperwork through the USCG. No further testing is required!

All Coast Guard Licenses are based on documented Gross Tonnage. (volume not weight).

Calculating Gross Tonnage:

A vessel&#8217;s gross tonnage should be listed on its documentation form. If your vessel is state registered instead of federally documented, you can calculate the gross tonnage using the following empirical formula:

L x B x D (depth not draft) x .67 (for power) or .5 (for sail)

It's been great for me... I am 4/5s the way through. I need to carve out some time from traveling to finish it.

I'm half way through the OUPV, but haven't taken the exams yet.

Honestly if I had to do it over again, I'd take it in a classroom. There are a few things about the class that I'm not a big fan. But I think a big part of it is just motivating myself to sit in front of a computer and listen to the audio clips. I've always done better in a classroom vs. online. If I had someone else who was taking it with me, I think it would be much easier.

I will add that they have been very helpful, though. You can call them at any time, with any questions you have.

I'm half way through the OUPV, but haven't taken the exams yet.

Honestly if I had to do it over again, I'd take it in a classroom. There are a few things about the class that I'm not a big fan. But I think a big part of it is just motivating myself to sit in front of a computer and listen to the audio clips. I've always done better in a classroom vs. online. If I had someone else who was taking it with me, I think it would be much easier.

I took the class at our local community college and enjoyed the learning experience. I then took time to self study the areas that the instructor emphasized. Passed the exam at the USCG station in Charleston with one sitting and came away with my license and the towing endorsement. That was over five years ago. I just went through renewal.

I'm so far along, though, and it's too late to get my money back. I kind of have momentum now. In fact I even just ordered the sailing and towing endorsements.

Back
Top Bottom