orientation on the surface with bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I already know this is a dumb question, but I've only used traditional jacket BCDs. If you dive with backplate and wings or with back-inflated BC, how do you stay face out of the water when you're at the surface? Is it hard to do surface swims on your back?

Lean back and slowly bicycle kick

I dove a Scubapro Knighthawk (back inflate) for a good while, and never had any issues with being pushed face first into the water...same with my BP/W now. Like Fishpie said, it helps if you don't fully inflate...but, even with a fully inflated rig, I don't seem to have any issues. And, I almost always surface swim on my back with these rigs, and don't have any issues.

I already know this is a dumb question, but I've only used traditional jacket BCDs. If you dive with backplate and wings or with back-inflated BC, how do you stay face out of the water when you're at the surface? Is it hard to do surface swims on your back?

Comfort at the surface in a BP&W does require proper set up and proper weighting.

Correctly weighted a diver needs only a small puff of gas in the wing. tThis gas will be behind the divers head and shoulders, and cannot push the diver forward.

OTOH the over weighted diver will need to fill the wing all the way down to their hips, much less fun.

Proper adjustment of the crotch strap is also important. With a working crotch strap both the rig and the diver will rise out of the water as gas is added to the wing.

Claims that a BP&W will force the diver forward are largely, IMO, the result of poor set up, or the simple repetition of myth.

Tobin

I just lay back like a big ol' oversized sea otter ... the wing supports me nicely ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dive a Zeagle Stiletto back inflate. I have back weight pockets which are actually ditchable. I put most weight in my front weight pockets but put #2 lb weight in each of the rear pockets, helps to keep weight towards the tank/back. One could always adjust the amount of weight in the back pockets as well further prevent getting pushed forward. I have never had any problems or felt like I was getting pushed forward. I also found that is was actually easier on surface swims than the jacket inflate BC used for OW training, just lean back and let the BC support you.

Most back-inflate BCDs have a place for non-dump-able trim weights to counteract the tendency to push you on your face. I have a Beuchat back inflate and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom