cold water reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I'm diving OC I use either Poseidon or Aqualung Legend LX Supreme. Both are excellent in any conditions. Dive mainly in the Great Lakes where temps are routinely in the 40's on the bottom year round. In colder water I have frequently inhaled small bits of ice that build up and then fall off of the internal parts of the second stage of a Poseidon without it ever free flowing. Apeks, Hog, and Dive Rite are also fine for most any conditions you're likely to encounter. If you want to get by a bit cheaper, Sherwoods are known for their ability to cope with cold water but don't breath quite as good. Scubapro's are known around here as Scubaflow's as don't do well at all in cold water...except for the Mk17 which does fine. Just my .02

Gary

Those are HOG regs in my avatar. Under the ice this past Februrary. Visit my website and ask me for a quote. I offer free shipping on all HOG/Edge regs anywhere in the US and APO's.

Just an added FYI. No 1st or 2nd stage is shipped before I hook it up on a tank and check IP. cracking pressure, and adjust if necessary. Regs are also assembled when requested at no extra charge. A paper with the recorded levels accompanies each purchase.

+ 1 for HOG regulators and Jim Lapenta.
I currently have 3 Hog D1 2nd stages and (1) Hog D1 1st coldwater with 2 more on order. I also have the Scubapro MK17 with a S555 with no problems but the coldest I dove here was Feb when it was a brisk 46 degrees. I guess that is warm weather for many of these guys.
If price and cold water are where you are at HOG D1 1st with Coldwater kit and HOG D1 second. I like the second becuase the guts are simaler to the Scubapro G250V except HOG uses a metal barrel and Scubapro uses a platic barrel in the S555 S600 and G250V. My understanding is Scubapro is going back to the metal barrel due to some recent spliting on the metal.
Look at the price HOG D1 setup under $275 and Scubapro at $400-500. its a no brainer. Do be sucked in by the parts for life. It will still cost you labor of about $25 per stage. With a HOG you can self service or ship in to the guys on here every couple of years. No regulator should need a annual service if you are a recreational diver (aka you don't do it for a living). Good luck
PS as far as Apeks and Zeagle they are built just like a HOG but more expensive.

this is the case with poseidons locally here. My ex LDS was selling them at the dealers price as no one would buy them with the service cost of 160 dollars per 2 stages.

He must have been a massive ripoff artist . . . Around here, any reg service, 1st, second and octo is $49 labor, and the parts for all three Cyclon stages cost me a whopping $29.95 . . . Hardly what I would call expensive, and pretty much in line with what I have found anywhere I have taken my reg for service . . .

I wouldn't have minded getting another at cost though, no matter what the reason . . .

- Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom