Diving Muir Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjerl

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone ever dove at Muir Beach? It has many rocky formations on the north end that seem like they might be good. It is also relatively calm most of time.

Any info would be great. The concept of diving somewhere that is not 2.5 hours away is intriguing.

pe

I've tried fishing at Muir Beach before, and my favorite poke-poling site is up the coast a little bit from there. My buddy said that he has seen divers spear-fishing near that spot. It's pretty rocky and entry/exit would require some clambering over slippery rocks. When we usually go fishing there's a decent surge by the rocks. Also, I don't think it's very deep over there so I'm not sure how enjoyable that would be, especially if the vis was bad.

I'm over in Berkeley and I'd be interested to know if people dive around those parts. If there's decent diving to be had, I'd love to give it a shot with someone who's been before.

I have run my boat around the area. I was shooting photos and in order to hold position I popped the motor in reverse. The only way I would consider getting in the water would be if someone stayed on the boat. The current rips around that area. Many surfers have had to be rescued from Stinson Beach due to the currents and rip tides. That is also patrolled by the Landlord. My neighbor was bitten at Stinson Beach which is right around the corner. Not that I haven't surfed there and other local beaches myself. Vis is often not the best in area, but I have been able to see the bottom in Bonita Cove at around 15'...so not too bad. We hung out in Bonita Cove with a harbor seal and a couple of otters.

I have always thought it would be fun to drift into the SF bay on a very mild tide as close to high tide possible, along the Marin Headlands. Of course the reality is there is tons of fishing line, boat traffic, swirling currents and eddy's, along with other hazards I haven't even thought of, but the topography is probably awesome (Rock walls), and the area should be full of life.

Yeah, I figured the current would be kinda strong right by the mouth of the bay... I'd better just enjoy it from the topside.

I'm over in Berkeley and I'd be interested to know if people dive around those parts. If there's decent diving to be had, I'd love to give it a shot with someone who's been before.
I dove in a harbor in Richmond 2-3 times about 6 yrs ago. Vis was about 15'. There are rays and leopard sharks there. Have some underwater pics of the place somewhere. Will try to post some when I find them.

I've always been curious about this shipwreck next to the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. The water looks pretty murky but it might be fun to kayak around it :)

Google Map of ship wreck next to bridge

That's right off the Chevron Refinery's property expect to have the Coast Guard or Police contact you. They are VERY nervous about terrorism there. I can tell you I have tried to dive near that area years ago and the viz was hand on mask with flashlight.
Aaron

Back
Top Bottom