Sherwood SR-1 Free Flows at Cold Water Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SR1 owners/users/questions:
As you can see from kiknads post, the SR1 does not always have issues in these conditions. Other posts describe in detail issues that still may be unresolved from each divers perspective. Have there been issues in cold deep water? Yes there have been, but not on every dive every time. We are not hiding anything or ignoring anything. Sherwood is in the business of creating safe equipment for safe experiences underwater and that has been our reputation for years. Anyone that has any unresolved issues should contact us through our web site here:
Welcome to Sherwood Scuba! and we will get the issue or question resolved. As you can see from the posts on Scubaboard, once a diver has a negative experience with a certain brand of equipment, they may not want to use it again and they may recommend another brand or model. If you have found another piece of equipment that you like in these conditions, great, but Sherwood sells quality gear and when issues arise, we handle them. We will never please all of the divers all of the time, no company will. We do not sell unsafe equipment or hide behind anything. If we suggest you contact us direct, it is to sort out all of the details on a one to one basis, not hide anything as it has been suggested above. The dive community is way too small to hide anything. We welcome your comments or questions.
Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

test test

Last edited:
Well, I beg to differ. My Sherwood SR1 has been a problem since I bought it when it first came out.

1-- Metal in the first stage and the ports were incorrectly machined. Sent back to Sherwood and they couldn't find anything wrong. Plugged a brand new out of the box Sherwood SPG into the first stage and the HP o-ring blew immediately with Sherwood on the phone. Sent it back and they couldn't find anything wrong. You have got to be kidding me. Finally my local shop which is great forced them to exchange it. Interesting though even though the second stage was working fine they changed it out. It never breathed as well as the first one. I heard there was some patent issues but cannot confirm this. Needless to say it worked great after this until:

2-- When the tank pressure was lower than 1000 psi it got hard to breathe. Most shops don't test a reg at low tank pressure, but we were having problems and duplicated on the machine. Found out there was a revision on the HP seat but waited months and still didn't get the rebuild kit before a live aboard trip!! Sherwood stepped up and sent one from there shop for me to use, but at low pressure it didn't breathe any easier. Tech support said this is normal BS!! I had to buy another reg for my trip last minute (Not a Sherwood)

3-- I asked for a refund. Sherwood said they would take care of me to the shop owner and me. Then they said I had to go to the original shop to get it (-250 miles away) but that shop owner would take a hit in his profit. Unacceptable!! Sherwood at best said they might only refund the wholesale cost through he dealer!!! This never happened. Needless to say Sherwood never made it right and sent me a new regulator. I don't know if it has the latest and greatest HP seat and haven't tested it yet. All I know is this reg has cost me a lot of money. I have purchased many Sherwood products in the past and WAS a fan of many of there products, but there poor tech and customer service, never again.

SR1 owners/users/questions:
As you can see from kiknads post, the SR1 does not always have issues in these conditions. Other posts describe in detail issues that still may be unresolved from each divers perspective. Have there been issues in cold deep water? Yes there have been, but not on every dive every time.

I have been a big Sherwood fan. I got my Oasis reg and Magnum BCD in 2006. I dive a lot (I live in the tropics) and have never had a problem. However, to say what you just said isn't very comforting. In diving, equipment needs to not have issues. "Not always" implies Sherwood believes the situation is okay since these issues don't happen to everyone. Instead, Sherwood should be saying it shouldn't happen to ANYONE. If there are issues, Sherwood should jump on them and fix them to the customer's satisfaction as expediently as possible.

If I can't trust my dive gear to work all the time, I won't use it. Any "issue" affecting the ability to use the equipment safely is unacceptable when your life hangs on the ability of the equipment to function properly under pretty much any conditions a diver might encounter. If Sherwood is having so many problems with a rig (e.g. the SR-1), the company needs to inform the divers and make it right - even if it means a recall. It may cost them in the near term, but it will endear Sherwood to divers worldwide when they know a company will go the distance to take care of customers and equipment problems. If Sherwood doesn't do that, they'll find that divers talk, and sales will plummet and Sherwood will be Sherwood no more.

Jim - a happy Sherwood customer with a little friendly advice.

If Sherwood is having so many problems with a rig (e.g. the SR-1), the company needs to inform the divers and make it right - even if it means a recall.

That's what I am mostly concerned, no support after few months waiting with a reg and finally ended up buying ScubaPro A700/MK17 as a replacement.
I am done with Sherwood.

Sanjac:
Thank you for your comments, we are glad you are a fan. Regarding the SR1, we would like all of our products to never have issues, but occasionally they do. By stating the truth ("it does not happen on all dives") we were in no way implying this is acceptable for any of our products, bu free flows do occur. We do jump right on issues brought to our attention but we will never be able to please all of the divers all of the time.

You can trust Sherwood equipment. Any gear from any manufacturer can malfunction so you can hope your gear will work all of the time, but no one can absolutely depend on their gear 100% of the time. We have thousands of these products in use daily without issues. The product does not need to be recalled and if it did, we would take this action. Sherwood has developed an excellent reputation for dependability, quality and integrity over the years. It is more about safety to our company than sales as without safety there will be no sales.

Again, thank you for your comments and rest assured, if any of our products in unsafe, we will let the diving community know right away.

Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Disco1999:
Sorry to hear your issue was not resolved. Sherwood attempts to resolve all issues with our products. We are glad to know you have a piece of equipment you like. If you are interested, we would like to have a chance to allow you to become a customer again at some point in the future. Again, sorry for not getting it resolved to your satisfaction.
Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Well Sherwood i have seen another first stage fail on a warm water dive in cayman islands,this was a new SR1 blew out the first stage after 4 dives,my scubapro made it through the week ok,
the SR1 is a nice looking reg but i am glad i do not own one. this reg needs to be recalled ,i have personally seen several freeflows and now first stage failures.

Yankeestudent: Thanks for making us aware of this situation. The regulator does not need to be recalled, if it did, it would have already been done. Free flows can occur for many reasons and do not happedn just with the SR1. As far as the first stage issue, we will need to know more about it from the user. We are glad you had a nice vacation.
Team Sherwood

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom