Stranded Pilot Whales need your help in Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was down the other evening. Word is getting out and the sheets are filling up. But not everybody shows up. And not everybody stays the full 4 hours despite being asked to. As far as supplies, the last I looked, the website was not the most current. Call down there to get the latest lists of needs. And be prepared for lots of changes. Each time I go down, new stuff is happening.

you are not the only whale holder who dreams, thinks and prays for them. :)

I just had a thought: Jenny and I are carpooling down on Friday night for the 12m-4am shift. If anyone wants to donate something and just didn't know how to get it to Key Largo, I am happy to be a sherpa. You can drop it off at the FHOF (I-95 & Griffin next door to Outdoor World) any time before 5pm on Friday. PM me to coordinate.

jet

I drove down this afternoon for the 4pm -8pm shift (I was actually in the water until 9pm). Numbers 302 and 303 were my charges for the shift. The "baby" 301 is getting feisty and vocalizes a good deal. I learned how to take a heart and breathing rate on a Pilot Whale (um, that might look good on a resume, LOL). The girls all have a ways to go and they are all at different stages in their rehabilitation. This is a tremendous undertaking and is going to be going on for some time. I found it a peaceful and rather reflective time spent with these wild animals that we often get an opportunity to be so close with. As someone said earlier, somehow, I think the girls know that we are trying to help them but I think they really helped me.

I don't always peruse the local papers so I missed this last week:
Two surviving pilot whales in critical condition

Two surviving pilot whales in critical condition
By KAREN QUIST
kquist@keynoter.com
Posted - Wednesday, May 18, 2011 05:50 AM EDT

Four female pilot whales that survived a May 5 mass stranding in the Lower Keys are still getting around-the-clock care at the Marine Mammal Conservancy in Key Largo.

Two of the whales were classified Tuesday as critical, while the other two were guarded.

A fifth whale -- the largest, a male about 13 feet long and 1,700 pounds -- had to be euthanized Friday. His death brought the number of known stranding casualties to 17.

The MMC's Robert Lingenfelser said the four surviving whales have pneumonia. They're receiving antibiotics and antifungals and are being closely monitored to ensure they're not in distress. Three veterinarians are overseeing their care, he said.

"It's something to be concerned about," Lingenfelser said of their conditions. "This could all turn around tomorrow, or it could go the other way."

Meanwhile, National Marine Fisheries Service spokeswoman Kim Amendola said the two males released May 7 in the Atlantic Ocean were several hundred kilometers southeast of Charleston, S.C., according to a satellite tracking tags placed on their dorsal fins by the Chicago Zoological Society.

The tags are powered by a small battery and send a signal to a satellite once every eight hours.

Amendola works out of the St. Petersburg office of the service, which is a division of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The service oversees the regional marine mammal stranding network in which the conservancy participates, and it will make the final decision regarding the whales' eventual release or transfer to another facility.

Experts do not know a lot about what causes marine mammals to strand. They conducted necropsies on each of the recovered animals, but it will be months before they have conclusive results. Even then, they may not get an answer. And while NOAA officials say they have no reason to believe there is a link between the stranding and last year's Gulf oil spill, they will also be testing for that.

Pilot whales normally are not seen in shallow waters like those off Cudjoe Key. The Keys last dealt with a mass stranding of the normally deepwater species in April 2003, just up the highway in Big Pine Key. A pod of another deepwater species, the rough-toothed dolphin, stranded off Marathon two years later.

The potentially long-term effort to rehabilitate the whales relies on donations of time, supplies and money. The nonprofit MMC needs about 24 volunteers each four-hour shift to work in the water and on land at the 3-acre facility at mile marker 102.1 bayside.

There's a "huge need for volunteers," observed Upper Keys resident Holly Hight. "Some of those people are working 24 hours a day. They're working really hard for these [whales]."

Hight volunteered Monday, supporting the smallest whale -- an 8.9-foot, 570-pound calf -- in the water. Hight was wearing just a sleeveless shorty on a gusty, wavy day, and the chill drove her out of the shoulder-high water after a couple of hours.

"It was amazing to hold them and feel them breathe," she said. "It was cold as heck, but it was worth it." A non-mammal created a little bit of a stir Tuesday. The MMC crew scooped up a lionfish and its venomous spines in the shallows of the sea pen where the whales are.

To volunteer time or donate supplies, call 451-4774, visit Marine Mammal Conservancy or find the conservancy on Facebook.

Thanks to all who have been volunteering who haven't posted: mermaid 223, clee1307, heath sapp, and others. Thanks to all who have made donations of goods and money.

While there are almost too many folks showing up during the daytime hours on Saturdays and Sundays, there is an almost desperate need for more volunteers weeknights from midnight to 8 am. Tonight there are only 3 volunteers who have called in to work, but another 21 are needed after midnight until morning. Please share this information with your friends.

I am wondering if the two pilot whales that were radio tagged and released were able to join up with another pilot whale pods in the area? Its amazing how much we know about the Killer Whale pods of the Pacific Northwest, and yet so little about other cetacean species.

Lock Washer

Elena, that's horrible. When we were down last week, the sign up sheets were filling up.. but of course only about 50% show up. Will be there tomorrow night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom