Will stay in both, Port Douglas and Cairns. Which has the better dive? =)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hcsf_25

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'll be arriving to Cairns and Port Douglas in 3 weeks, and will be spending 3 days at each location. I would prefer to do one day dive either at Cairns or Port Douglas (on a bit of a budget, otherwise, I'd do both :wink:

I've read quite a few of the previous posts regarding which place to stay at for accommodations (if you want beach, nightlife, restaurants, etc.), but I'm looking to find out which of the two locations has the better dive (I know this may be tough to answer as some people will say, well, it depends what you want to see).

For Cairns, I have narrowed it down to the following two operators from previous posts:
1) Tusa - Cairns Day Dive Trips With Tusa To The Great Barrier Reef
2) Silverswift - Cairns Day Dive Trips With Silverswift To The Great Barrier Reef

For Port Douglas, I have one operator:
Port Douglas Day Trip Diving With Poseidon To The Great Barrier Reef

I have rougly 30 dives under my belt, am Open Water Certified, 24 years old and going alone, would like to avoid the large crowds, would like to see marine creatures, and would like to do the 3 dives in one day.

Appreciate all of your help!!!

Cheers,
D

You can also do the SilverSonic from Port Douglas. It is the sister ship of the Silver Swift that departs Cairns.
Best bet, go into each web site, find the dive sites that they go to etc and youtube the site and see if you like what you see. Port probably gets less day divers going from it then Cairns.

You have picked the b est 3 to be honest!

Cairns is cheaper than Port due to more competition and Tusa has a good deal at the moment offereing 3 dives for the price of 2 Cairns Day Dive Trips With Tusa To The Great Barrier Reef

If you really are on a budget then go on one of the day trip boats that also double up as transfer vessel to the over night boats (like the one BMETdiver suggested or Reef Quest (also offereing cheap single dive price for $140 inc Reef taxes) Cairns Day Dive Trips Aboard Reef Quest To The Great Barrier Reef

But out of Port Poseidon is definately the go cheaper and less crowded than Silversonic Port Douglas Day Trip Diving With Poseidon To The Great Barrier Reef

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

You have picked the best 3 to be honest!

Cairns is cheaper than Port due to more competition and Tusa has a good deal at the moment offereing 3 dives for the price of 2 Cairns Day Dive Trips With Tusa To The Great Barrier Reef

If you really are on a budget then go on one of the day trip boats that also double up as transfer vessel to the over night boats (like the one BMETdiver suggested or Reef Quest (also offereing cheap single dive price for $140 inc Reef taxes) Cairns Day Dive Trips Aboard Reef Quest To The Great Barrier Reef

But out of Port Poseidon is definately the go cheaper and less crowded than Silversonic Port Douglas Day Trip Diving With Poseidon To The Great Barrier Reef

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

hi guys,

thank you all for the tips. I think i've decided on the tusa5. hopefully i won't have any regrets with not doing port douglas!!!

cheers,
d

The best trip would have to be TAKA dive followed by mike ball. They head off the the coral sea and the cod hole near lizard island, really some spectacular diving up that way I have been with TAKA dive a few times now myself. I know you can get a 15% discount of you visit here.
dive2-142x150.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom