Newbie Dive Boat Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

also, don't bring a big huge bag.. Space is premium. A lot of divers bring huge Tupperware tubs which are easy to carry and keep wet salty gear from dripping in your car. Just don't bring BIG HUGE ones that can't fit under bench..

I find that a relatively inexpensive, collapsible mesh boat bag works great on Cozumel dive boats. It needs to be big enough to transport your warm water gear to/from the boat. Backpack straps are a plus. I'd recommend keeping a waterproof trash bag and/or a ziploc bag in the "dry" pocket of your mesh bag to protect stuff that really shouldn't get wet. I also keep a small save-a-dive kit in a rigid waterproof container in the mesh bag.

When your gear isn't set up on a tank, keep your personal items in your mesh bag under your seat...out of the way.

Typically, I'll have my swimsuit, sharkskin, and wetsuit on halfway at the time of boarding. For footwear getting to/from the boat, I use Tevas. Bring tip money and a little extra for snacks/drinks in case the boat drops you off on land at a resort during the surface interval. If you have proof of dive/medical insurance and emergency contact info, bring that along in a waterproof bag.

Listen to the dive briefing. Ask questions. Be honest about your experience level and comfort in the water when the DM/captain are determining appropriate dive sites for the people on your boat. On small boats, be prepared to do seated backward-roll entries if this is specified in the pre-dive briefing. (They're fun.) Also, be prepared to deal with significant current once in the water. This might mean descending immediately upon entering the water.

Prior to your first boat dive, do a shore dive and conduct a proper weight check. This is a great time to make sure that all of your equipment is working properly.

also, don't bring a big huge bag.. Space is premium. A lot of divers bring huge Tupperware tubs which are easy to carry and keep wet salty gear from dripping in your car. Just don't bring BIG HUGE ones that can't fit under bench..

Great advice for local diving especially in cold water locations where you drive to the dock but it might be hard to transport your large plastic tubs to and from Cozumel. :wink:

Depends on what kind of boat.

There are little speed boats with very little room and you get pretty wet enroute to the dive site from the bow spray. The ride is pretty bumpy and there isn't any shade. August is pretty hot, though, so it doesn't make any sense to wear a wet suit during the ride unless it cool and rainy. Bring lots of sun protection. A dry bag is essential for keeping your towel and other valuables dry.

Then there are larger dive boats with a more comfortable ride and plenty of sun shade and protection from the elements. There is lots of room for gear, cameras, etc. These boats usually have a toilet as well. I would still bring a dry bag in case you get a ferocious thunderstorm. I usually ask the dive master for a 10 minute warning in order to start putting on my wet suit. During the dive brief I am usually dressed in my wet suit and my dive gear is ready to go.

In any case, I usually board the boat wearing my quick-dry swim shorts so that I just have to put my wet suit over my shorts. I also usually wear a synthetic quick-dry T-shirt.

I love this question- more new divers should ask it. Arrive at the point of departure with all your gear in a BOAT BAG, a mesh collapseable bag. Wear swim wear and a cover-up: sweatshirt or t-shirt as appropriate to the weather, and bring a towel. There are no "changing rooms- don you wet suit at your station on the boat after boarding. Most people pull them up waist high for the ride and then "zip up" when the divemaster say get ready. Most boats on Cozumel have space for your to pull on your wet suit, but if you are on a small open outboard, pull you wetsuit on at least to the waist before boarding, or all the way on if you prefer. NOTE: you can get overheated, so if wearing your wetsuit onto the boat, I recoment you tak a quick plunge before boarding and get wet so you don't get overheated.
DivemasterDennis

Bring as much of your own gear as you can. Reg, mask, fins, computer... Come dressed in swim wear (bathing suit) so you can easily put on a wet suit in front of everyone. Dont pee in your suit right before you get back on the boat, Pee early in the dive or not at all. Most boats have snacks and drinks, dont come to the boats starving though... Keep your stuff next to your tanks or under them. Things can easily go missing into another divers bag (usually on accident). If you get sick do not go to the bathroom or marine head. Puke off the back or side.

Very important, we did a two tank dive in Cozumel last week. Two of the rental regulators started to free flow, one on the surface as soon as the air was turned on. Fortunately it was not mine or my wifes, but I will not travel again and depend on rental gear.

On another note, we had one collapsable mesh bag with our gear in it, and one small duffle type bag for items that we wanted to stay dry. There was enough room but not alot of extra room.

Coz has great drift diving and you have gotten some really good advice here to refresh your memory on those dos and don'ts. As far as boat diving goes, I think you will find that if you grab the tag line when you surface, take your fins off and then pull yourself along the line to the ladder, it is easier to board particularly in chop. You can clip your fins to your BC or tuck them inside. I almost lost one by trying to hold my fins in my hand in 6 ft waves. Of course, if the dive guide has a different procedure you should follow what they say.
I love boat diving because it is the best place to meet interesting divers from all over the world. It's about the best fun you can have........ legally.
When you're on land remember this one rule - If it's rotating with a light on it, DON'T EAT IT!

Bring as much of your own gear as you can. Reg...
Very important, we did a two tank dive in Cozumel last week. Two of the rental regulators started to free flow, one on the surface as soon as the air was turned on. Fortunately it was not mine or my wifes, but I will not travel again and depend on rental gear.
I just wanted to point out that, the vast majority of the time, this kind of stuff happens with rental gear because the divers renting the gear fail to test it out before leaving the dive shop. Whether you decide to rent regs or bring your own, you should be doing a comprehensive pre-dive reg inspection including several functional tests. You should be doing methodical, functional, pre-dive BCD checks as well.

Don't be that guy who rents a reg setup, brings it on-board, attaches it on the tank for the first time on the boat, turns on the tank valve, is shocked to find out that the second stage is free-flowing a little, and then complains about the deplorable state of rental gear. Such an issue should have been identified and sorted out well before boarding the boat.

Bring your gear and a :), sailor!

Back
Top Bottom