what tanks did i get at this garage sale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaops

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
picked up 2 really clean looking tanks on a whim got them for 15 buck the tanks read
ctc dot 3al 3000 s80 m4002 on the top line and the date is 9a91
they have padi retail association equipment program marked jun 95
what do you guys think?

An aluminum 80cf (s80) with rated fill pressure of 3000 . . . born 09/91, so out of hydro. Hydro + vis + clean + fill = ~$50 in SE AZ. Probably much cheaper your area.

However, someone more 'in the know' than I will have to address whether it is one of the alloys that no one will fill.

An aluminum 80cf (s80) with rated fill pressure of 3000 . . . born 09/91, so out of hydro. Hydro + vis + clean + fill = ~$50 in SE AZ. Probably much cheaper your area.

However, someone more 'in the know' than I will have to address whether it is one of the alloys that no one will fill.

Those would be the Luxfer 6351 alloy cylinders.

Reactions: Jax
i do not have the link handy, using a different PC. These tanks are not T6351. If you do some searching, you should find the Luxfer Manufacture dates for the T6351 tanks. You should not have any issues getting the hydroed, VIP or filled. Provided they pass the tests.

Good Luck!! - Tom

Those would be the Luxfer 6351 alloy cylinders.

This statement was made in reference to the previous one regarding alloys that no one will fill.

The OP's cylinders are newer Catalina tanks, should not be a problem.

This is a copy from a sticky thread from this forum. A 1991 Luxfer tank was made after Luxfer stopped using T6351

Now lets focus on cylinders made by Luxfer as they are the most predominate scuba cylinder made with AL6351:

30 and 63 cu. ft............................. S30, S63 .... mfg date 5-88
40 cu. ft....................................... S40 ........... mfg date 6-88
50 and 92 cu. ft............................. S50, S92 .... mfg date 4-88
72 and 100 cu. ft........................... S72, S100 ... mfg date 8-87
80 cu. ft....................................... S80 ........... mfg date 1-88
80.8 cu. ft.................................... S80.8 ......... mfg date 5-87

By quickly scanning one can see that by July of 1988 Luxfer had quit making cylinders using AL 6351 and had fully switched over to AL6061. As importantly, given that the vast majority of aluminum scuba cylinders in use are AL80 for the most part one could "safely" say that any Luxfer AL80 made with a hydro year of 1988 were made using AL6061. Though I have seen a 1-88 hydro date for a Luxfer cylinder.

picked up 2 really clean looking tanks on a whim got them for 15 buck the tanks read
ctc dot 3al 3000 s80 m4002 on the top line and the date is 9a91
they have padi retail association equipment program marked jun 95
what do you guys think?

Check with your local shop if they will fill them before re-hydroing them. Some shops refuse filling anyAluminum cylinder older than 15 years regardless of the alloy.

thanks for the fast replies guys i emailed some local shop to see what they think. im keeping my fingers crossed

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom