First rung on scuba ladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig107

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Took my first steps on the ladder of becoming a OW diver today, I went swimming.
I have set myself some goals weight and fitness wise before I commence the training.

I smoke (20 a day):- Cutting down with a program to stop:)
Overweight (5'10" and 14stone 4lb):- lose a stone:depressed:
Fitness level Havent got any yet:D

So, I swam 100m+ today first time in a pool that does not have a swim up bar, didn't know these things existed:shocked2:
Ordered a bike via web lastnight, will start cycling when it comes. My wife jogs so will ride alongside at first.

All for now, Im off surfing the site for more info..

Craig (Future diver)

Edit:- Forgot to mention, Its my birthday today (44) My planned active start date, to do OW in October.

Last edited:
Good for you, Craig. Good luck and keep up the good work!

You'll find this site is a goldmine of invaluable information and really helpful people.

Congratulations on starting the fitness quest! Good luck. You do not need to be super fit in order to enjoy diving. But a higher level of fitness will help in many things in addition to the diving!

Keep at it, Craig!

I think it's great that you have set goals for yourself - you will surely continue to create (and accomplish) dive-related goals long after your training & certification as well :luxhello:

I smoke (20 a day):- Cutting down with a program to stop:)

Good luck !! I smoked (17 years!) before diving as well ... and I believe that taking up the sport assisted me a great deal in quitting.

Wonderful goals, Craig! Since we are seeing so many accidents occurring for what appear to be cardiac reasons, testing (and improving) your fitness before diving is probably a very wise thing.

And be sure to reward yourself along the way as you accomplish your goals. Like subscribe to a scuba magazine. Or buy a Reef Creatures book. Or buy a cool diving T-shirt or hat. It will motivate you to reach the next goal. Have fun, cause that's what it's all about. See ya underwater soon!

Back
Top Bottom