Scuba geocache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just informed from a friend that Sport Chalet is going to be doing some sort of treasure hunt at Lake Pleasant this summer. He didn't have any details as yet.

I was just informed from a friend that Sport Chalet is going to be doing some sort of treasure hunt at Lake Pleasant this summer. He didn't have any details as yet.

Scott, I bet that is during Adventure day the 18th of June.

Intel sources tell me of some booty to be had out there. There aren't any gps coordinates to follow and nothing to leave so it's not really a geocache in he truest sense of the word.
Out near Tec Island in Lake Pleasant there are some gold coins thrown out with coupons or tags attached for merchandise and/or discounts. I think they may have been thrown out for a Scuba Day or something and not recovered and I don't know which (what?) dive shops they're for. Also off the Vina del Mar hotel in Rocky Point there's a brick painted gold and attached is a tag that entitles the finder to a SeaLife camera from Inland Water Divers. The brick was put out there a few years ago before the economy went south and people stopped going down there so it will take some skills to find it. Have fun!

I think the idea of geocaching underwater is absurd. Most are going to leave plastic containers. Maybe not much of an issue in a lake but in the ocean, mother nature has a way of moving things even when you think they're well secured. When that happens, you've just contributed to the massive quantities of plastic already in the ocean. Is diving so boring that you need to play a game while doing it? Just go get an underwater metal detector instead. Or search for waste/garbage and do some clean up.

Underwater geocaching is not about leaving things underwater. Rather it's about getting people to see new sites. Provide the GPS coordinates to a spot on land. Provide a compass heading, distance, and depth from that spot. Then have the person e-mail with a description of what is there. For people who like to geocache and dive, it's a great way to combine the two activities.

Reactions: Jax
Joel runs a Scuba Geocache program locally. JP Scuba Treasure Hunts
It looks like DEMA is getting into "Dive Caching" as well.
DiveNewswire

Ummm . . . if you know Joel, would you please let him know his treasurehunts site comes up as "phishing"?

Access Denied (content_filter_denied)

Your request for "http://www.jpscubatreasurehunts.com/" was denied because of its content
categorization: "Phishing"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom