Padi Training question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottweideman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I somewhat recently went through the OW course, now my father decided to get back into scuba and brought my mother along. They are going to a different diveshop then I did, and the PADI training they are recieving is not completly different then what I went through but different none the less, they spend a lot of time comparing equipment, one of there required reading is about choosing a dive computer. I was trained with the padi electronic dive calculator, they still use dive charts. I was wondering if there is any standard for Padi training or can a dive shop just teach however they want?

Sure, there are standards to which a PADI instructor must adhere when teaching a PADI class.
Based on your description, I see nothing to suggest that your parents' PADI instructor is teaching "anything" he wants. It would appear that he is simply choosing to teach an updated version of the course.

If you're curious, feel free to ask your parents' instructor about recent changes to the PADI basic OW curriculum. I'm sure he'd be willing to discuss them with you.

FWIW, usage of dive computers is becoming more commonplace within the diving community, so a transition away from the ERDP makes sense. On another note, I think that spending some class time comparing different kinds of equipment is a good thing. It will help your parents make a more informed gear purchase decision after OW certification and will help familiarize them with different kinds of gear (which would be helpful if your parents ever encounter another diver in trouble using that gear).

There are different versions of the course. The dive computer based course is newer. Some instructors prefer to teach the older course using tables, as they believe this is more comprehensive.

The courses are still identical in all respects, except the method/equipment used for calculating dives/pressure groups.

Teaching the PADI OW class using the computer diving module and omitting the RDP/ERDP is a relatively new thing, but at the discretion of the instructor or shop, either may be done.

As far as things like comparing equipment, PADI instructors are free to add certain kinds of information and value to their classes, so long as they don't violate the standard of the class. This is the kind of thing that a motivated instructor/salesman CAN do during the class, to help students have a better idea of what they might want to acquire for themselves.

PADI Standards give the OW class a fairly uniform framework, but there are options and the instructor can "decorate" the framework with additional value, so no two classes will be precisely the same.

Embrace the new information! There are many divers who have computers and have no idea how to use them or even read them. IF you you have a computer and have never read the manual....STOP everything your doing and DO IT!....NOW!

I recently briefed NDL time for a deep dive, they all looked at me and nodded, after 20 minutes they were all at 1 minute of NDL and signaled OK.

WTF! ...never use all your NDL time.

I think PADI should require all current and new instructors to "update" their training to include teaching computers.

many dive shops won't even let you do a deep dive without a computer...great for you...you just rented one..a 2 minute overview and throw you in the water.

this is unsafe in every situation.

If you don't know dive computers....get smart and learn the basic functions.

Go to a dive shop and ask to "play" with one...try to set it, use the dive planner, etc. Get a feel for it. They basically all work the same.

hope this helps

good diving to U

I teach OW through SSI,... & although not PADI, both agencies have gone in the same general direction with the use of tables & computers. As an instructor, I personally teach BOTH tables & computer. I typically start out with the tables, so that my students have an understanding of their (non)decompression needs & understand why their computer reads what it does. I work the tables with them enough that they understand the basics. I do not require them to master the tables, but to at least have a basic knowledge of how they work. From there, I then relate the information to computer use & go over how to read the computer & how to use the features on their class computers.

So I somewhat recently went through the OW course, now my father decided to get back into scuba and brought my mother along. They are going to a different diveshop then I did, and the PADI training they are recieving is not completly different then what I went through but different none the less, they spend a lot of time comparing equipment, one of there required reading is about choosing a dive computer. I was trained with the padi electronic dive calculator, they still use dive charts. I was wondering if there is any standard for Padi training or can a dive shop just teach however they want?
Thats an interesting question,I did my OW thru SSI and was taught with no octo but instead an Inflator intagated air source, the ow manual made mention of an octo and the instructor had one on her personal kit but all students had IIAS and learned emergency air share procedures using IIAS and no octo. When I did my qualifying dive it was thru referral thru a Padi shop in Mexico and when they broke out the octo and I told them I was unfamiliar with them they were surprised,also,they were kinda/sorta unfamiliar with IIAS which surprised me.
My SSI instructor hurried us thru the course, I was confused on some things and couldn't slow her down to my liking and told her I was going to drop out ,study some more on my own and to pleas continue on with the rest of the class that were waiting in the pool, she seemed shattered and begged me to continue, said I was doing great, I reluctantly continued,and got certified thru very patient PADI instructors afterwards on my referral dives and have learned more thru some other instructors elsewhere.
At 15 dives I fell like I'm where I should have been coming out of class and will continue on thru PADI. And that is by no means saying I think SSI is substandard in any way,I just didn't care for the particular way the instructor took us thru the course, and after seeing other instructors at the sme shop hold class I know that she taught different than they do.
So yes I think they all flex a little on the way they teach and the content of what they teach.

Padi Standards are consistent and enforced (for the most part.) PDI is constantly updating and revamping courses, and since your certification the open water course has very recently undergone a substantial revision in some areas, including computer focus vs rdp focus (not a great thing in my opinion). Whenever there is a revision there is a period of "grandfathering, allowing the old course materials and content to be used as the new is implemented. That accounts for periodic dviations from a single course content.
DiveMasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom