Exposure gear for Open Water Stdents in Cool (cold) Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If "one size fits all" doesn't work for sizing hoods, why would it work for wearing them? Offer them and if the student doesn't want it, so be it.

Likewise, open water isn't the place to be learning the intricacies of the mask/hood dance. If students will be wearing hoods in open water, shouldn't they be exposed to them (if you'll forgive the pun) during confined water training?

If "one size fits all" doesn't work for sizing hoods, why would it work for wearing them? Offer them and if the student doesn't want it, so be it.

I agree with this. My LDS did an OW class 2 weeks ago. Water temp? 41 F. Hoods were appreciated.

The hood is always included in the rental gear so it's up to the student. Most of them are adults and can make decisions for themselves. If I'm trusting a guy to set up his gear to be life supporting under 60 feet of water, I can trust him to decide to wear a hood or not.

Thank you all for your comments. Here is what I have decided: We'll ask each student who is renting gear if they want a hood. Then I will take a bag with a dozen extras for those who need the reality check of cold water to help them decide.
My deep admiration goes to TMHeimer for his 40 degree water efforts. Too cold even for me!
DivemasterDennis

I was at Chatfield last weekend and there were several dive shops there and it appeared they all let everyone make their own choices on hoods. I didn't wear one, was getting over a cold, and when that cold water hit my head it was instant headache for a bit.

Thank you all for your comments. Here is what I have decided: We'll ask each student who is renting gear if they want a hood. Then I will take a bag with a dozen extras for those who need the reality check of cold water to help them decide.
My deep admiration goes to TMHeimer for his 40 degree water efforts. Too cold even for me!
DivemasterDennis

Great idea. When we did our OW dives, the water was 47 at the surface and 44 and about 15-20 feet. There was one experienced diver there with his wife, a beginner, who did not wear a hood. This encouraged others to go the first dive without one. Not a good idea. If our instructor did not have extra hoods and vests with him, she would not have gone back in the water that day.

It's folly to dive in those conditions without the right equipment. I hope the goal is not to train a generation of July/August / tropical divers. They might stumble though OW exercises under dressed but they will never enjoy real diving in those conditions that way.

7mm with 2X on the core, 5mm gloves, good boots and open heel fins and a hood. That's the deal and when you get to peel it back in prime time it's a bonus.

They should be in hoods and gloves for all but the start of pool work. Of course you need to have them fully suited to establish correct weighting and teaching the procedure either in the pool or as a prelude to any dives of record.

If you don't do your job who will?

Pete

If I felt that someone didn't have the proper exposure protection for the area in a class, I'd not let them dive. My rationale - I'm responsible for them, and if they are having issues that could have been prevented, its impacting every other student. Its your call if those water temps warrant a hood. To someone from New england, that sounds like bath water :wink:

I did my OW in Aug, and I don't think there was an option to go hoodless I would guess the water was in the 50's but could be wrong. Our big option was lobser claw or 5 finger for gloves, I went with warmth at the time but go for dexterity now. I say lead by example and don't offer an option for the first dive let them ask if they have to wear the hood.

Ben

Dennis-I guess one way to look at it is that its a valuable lesson for your students on a couple of of fronts. Those that choose not to hood on their first dive but actually needed to will be keen as mustard on their second dive. Its also potentially a more difficult to equalise with a hood on so its an "extra" skill the students will have learned

I can only relate to my last dive where both myself and my dive buddy were in 7mm one piece suits. water temp at 10 degrees c -he had a hood I diddn't and I was fine but he was a bit chilled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom