You have the wrong gear for this class!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe you can just use the owner's rental stuff while with a class?

Thats why he offered. I would just have to suck it up to complete what I need to complete. Eventually he is certifying me as a NAUI instructor down the road but I would be adamant about teaching my students in BP/W.

Okay Randy, I think knowone hit the nail on the head more succinctly then I am about too, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

You dive DIR.
None of the LDS in your area are okay with you diving DIR.
You need at least some help from at least one LDS to complete your DM program.

Solution: You dive DIR when you dive outside of your internships. You dive standard poodle short hose rig when with customers.
Reason: You need to complete the required evolutions to meet your own goals.

Long term: You dive how you want because you will be an independent DM/Instructor/Dive GOd and can do things your own way.

Is the above fair? No.
Is the above reality? Yes.

Did I deal with this many times teaching new recruits? Yes. Do it the way you are required to to get the job done, take notes, and when you are the boss do it how ever the hell you want to.

Michael

Don't most of us deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis? As part of earning a living I regularly have to do things that I think are inefficient, senseless or counterproductive. I usually let the management know my opinion, but after letting them know, I do it their way because that's what I'm getting paid to do. If you're DM-ing for a dive shop and getting freebies and discounts in return, part of the deal is you play by their rules. The rules may be stupid, but that's not for you to decide.

Here's a simple answer.

Just ask the instructor concerned to explain why it is a tech rig. Ask him to point out the specific reasons why it is for technical diving. Ask him also to point out what exactly makes it unsuitable for recreational diving.

Finally, ask him to provide the NAUI kit list for the course/s that you would assist on.

It's easy for instructors to speakauthoritively, but more difficult for them to speak insightfully. Some instructors like to use throwaway comments (i.e. "it's a tech rig"), but ignorance is exposed when ask to explain those comments.

At the end-of-the-day, it's his school and his class; so he can make the rules. That said, what benefits do you feel that you have to gain from assisting a 'mentor' who, as a scuba professional, obviously has some major knowledge gaps, poor breadth of experience of the wider scuba industry/community and a very narrow-minded attitude? To leap even further in assumption; his unwillingness to explore the added teaching benefits of different kit configurations might mark him out as being a scuba educator who prefers to run classes at the bare minimum of effort and motivation.

Just saying.........

Oh, just for the record - taught a PADI PPB class today, using doubles, long hose and necklace AAS. Student got to try out force fins, jet fins and split fins. Dropped his weight belt from 5kg to 2lbs. Worked towards a 'balanced rig' and confirmed his ability to swim the rig with no air. Got horizontal trim cracked and looked at buoyancy requirements/distribution of individual kit components when he buys stuff at a later date (not from me). He got to try necklace AAS - and showed him how to make his own for $2. 3 dives, rather than 2. Video'd his practices for review and feedback tomorrow. In a single day, we had progressed to horizontal ascent/descent, helicopter turns and non-silting fin techniques.

Yep... there's no excuse for 'bare minimum' instructors....

Your HOG gear is probably correctly perceived as bad for his business. He does not carry that type of gear, and even if he did, HOG gear does not seem to afford the same profit margins as top[-of-the-line standard gear with all those bells and whistles that carry steep markups.

randytay:
Thats why he offered. I would just have to suck it up to complete what I need to complete. Eventually he is certifying me as a NAUI instructor down the road but I would be adamant about teaching my students in BP/W.

Seems like you are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's his shop and it's his class. If you want to work with him, and apparently you do, you follow his rules. Since he's happy to loan you gear and not require you to buy it, I don't see the issue. Comply and get your instructor ticket. Once you are an instructor, you can teach however you'd like as long as you comply with standards. As a NAUI instructor, diving a BP/wing set up with a long hose is not an issue, go for it. You may have to teach independently from any shop, but I've always found it to be less of a hassel to teach a quality class by remaining independent.

Isn't being adamant about teaching your way the same thing this instructor did to you and you're pissed about it. IMHO you need to expose students to many different aspects of diving and let them make up thier own minds on what they need. Different tools for different jobs. I dive one setup when I'm lobster diving and digging around in holes and another setup when I'm floating by a tropical reef with 100' of viz and 80 deg water. I'm smart enough to figure out what works for me and I was lucky enough to have Instructors that were open minded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom