ear infections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If external ear canal infection is the problem, this is not a new issue.

Good discussion of the issue: Effect of Diving and Diving Hoods on the Bacterial Flora of the External Ear Canal and Skin

DAN recommends half and half white vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

Back during the Tektite program, in 1969, there was a lot of problem with middle ear infections, a protocol of a few drops of mineral oil in each ear prior to diving and a post dive wash was developed.

While Vinegar/alcohol is good, what we used for earwash on Tektite was equal parts of 15% Tannic Acid (15 gm. diluted to 100 ml), 15% Acetic Acid (15 ml diluted to 100 ml) and 50% isopropyl or ethanol (50 ml diluted to 100 ml) in a wash bottle. On Tektite we used ethanol because we had a bunch in the lab for pickling specimens. If you leave a wash bottle full of solution in the sun (e.g., on the dash of your car) it feels so good after the dive.

If you have access to any High School or College chemistry lab you can make it. Or you can likely get a pharmacist to make it up (get you doc to write it out as a prescription) or just get the stuff you need from any Chemical Supply company

1) Tannic acid (crystals), weight out 15 grams, transfer to a 100 ml volumetric flask and fill with water.

2) Acetic acid (liquid) put 50 ml or so of water into a 100 ml volumetric flask, slowly add 15 ml of glacial acetic acid then dilute to 100 ml with water.

3) Dilute an appropriate volume of alcohol with water so that you get 100 ml of a 50% alcohol solution.

Combine equal parts of the three solutions (in this case 100 ml each to make 300 ml of Tektite Solution).

Mineral oil in the ears before the dive, and Tektite Solution after. I've done this since '69 and never had any problems with my external acoustic meatus. No need for earplugs.

What about the Doc Proplugs? Do they help with preventing swimmer's ear?

Doc's Proplugs: The Doctor's Choice for Ear Protection[/QUOTE]

I use them for multi-day cave diving. In the past I inevitably ended up with an ear infection around the third day. None with the proplugs. I feel like a dork wearing them but its worth not losing my vacation. Never tried them on deep/wreck dives but I assume they work fine there too. Remember you have to get the vented version for diving...OR ELSE!!!

I have made and still have a bottle of home brew ear beer but seldom use it because I don't need it for open water dives (all fresh water Great Lakes diving) and it didn't work nearly as well as the goofy plugs for cave diving. I will say that in my experience the drying, stinging problem that some get from the alcohol/vinegar recipe can be greatly reduced by adding a little glycerin (available at pharmacies) to the mix.

Gary

Lots of divers that I know use swimmers ear, or a diluted alcohol or vinegar mix after each dive to try out their ears. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, etc. If you are particularly susceptible, you can buy masks which have "ear pockets" to keep your ears dry whilst diving.

thanks for all the great info guys and gals. I believe I'll be set for bonaire!

To prevent outer ear infections while diving, drying the outer ear canal is key:
  • As recommended by several people in this thread, homebrew "ear beer" drops are very effective.
  • Another option is the Sahara or Mack's Ear Dryer. Each unit comes with multiple sets of removable, washable earpieces in case more than one diver wants to share the gadget.
Have fun on your trip to Bonaire!

I also find that cleaning the ear canal of wax with a q-tip will almost guarantee an outer ear infection--the wax is there for a purpose! Also, I sometimes get a stuffy nose after multiple dives on multiple days, I take an antihistamine after the last dive of the day & I stopped having middle ear infections from diving.

I used to have a really bad problem with ear infections, but I'm too lazy to make my own and don't like the drying effects of alcohol in the store brands. So, I use contact lens saline solution (yes, the stuff for your eyes). Apparently the ph balance keeps anything nasty from growing in your ear and it's readily available in any drug store around the world.

Ear infections come in 2 types.

You all have been discussing Otitis Externa aka Swimmer's ear. It is an infection of the outer ear canal and touching the outer ear and face causes increased pain. Good prevention and remedies all. It is one of the most exquisitely painful conditions I treat. Once you have the infection I wouldn't stop at the home remedies recommended, I'd get a prescription for an ear drop antibiotic AND steroid suspension. You might get your doctor to prescribe you one before you go in case you develop such and infection.

The other type of ear infection, Otitis Media aka 'ear infection', is an infection in the middle ear space. Pain is from pressure on the ear drum. Touching the ear usually isn't painful but descending, flying, sneezing, and trying to clear your ears can be very painful. Treatment for this is improving sinus/upper respiratory drainage with hot showers, oral or nasal decongestants, and if a bacterial infection - use of oral antibiotics. The home remedies above are useless for a middle ear infection. Trying to dive with a middle ear infection is very painful and puts the diver at a significant risk of ear drum rupture.

Preventing a middle ear infection is different also. Don't dive with a cold or allergies if you can't reliably clear your ears. DO NOT use any short acting medicines - they can wear off before you ascend, especially if doing more than one dive. You really shouldn't dive using antihistamines, oral decongestants, or other medicines - but if you do make sure you know how you react to them. Keep your hands clean and don't touch you face - especially on the flight down to your destination.

Lastly, take care of your body. The more tired you are, the more susceptible you are to infections.

I have found that many of my ear infections are sinus related (inner ear?) So, after every dive I now use a neti pot. NeilMed SinusFlo to be exact. I have zero infections when I use this following a day of diving.

K

I have to echo Rafting Tigger. There are several types (locations) of ear infections - predominantly, outer (Otitis Externa, aka Swimmer's Ear) and middle (Otitis Media, think what you kid may have had as a child). Therefore, when discussing an "ear infection" it is important to distinguish external v middle as the treatments are different.

To echo Thalassamania - the use of a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol will assist in preventing otitis externa. The vinegar (acetic acid) provides an acidic environment which discourages growth of bacteria and fungus. The alcohol dries the area.

Regarding ear wax - the American Academy of Pediatrics (1990s) studied the use of Cerumenex, Debrox, and warm water in removing excess ear wax. Warm water worked the best (and is cheaper). Using a Q-tip (which was originally designed for applying/removing make-up) acts a powder ram, pushing the wax deeper. Aggressive use can scratch the auditory canal causing small amount of bleeding and setting you up for otitis externa as bacteria like it dark, damp, and warm with blood being an excellent food source.

I am having a hard time understanding how placing drops in the external ear canal can prevent a middle ear problem since the ear drum (tympanic membrane) should be intact (if diving is pursued), thereby providing a mechanical barrier to the middle ear :idk:

BTW, if you have a ruptured ear drum, DO NOT use the above alcohol/vinegar mixture unless you want to experience a Dark Ages torture process. :wink:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom