Maui: Kapalua diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can dive Kapalua Bay but it's pretty shallow (so are a lot of Maui shore dives) - Kapalua Dive Company

Honolua Bay is also supposed to be pretty good. Long walk to the beach. We also did a fairly decent dive at Old Airport Beach - maybe 10-15? mins. south of Kapalua. Shallow also a long way out. We dove it with scooters.

Some of this is fairly current: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

If you golf, the Bay course is really good. Except hole #5. Trust the wind marker. I hit my ball at a 45o angle out into the ocean and it landed 20' from the pin.

Unfortunately there isn't much diving near Kapalua Bay. If you're considering boat diving, you'll need to drive to Lahaina or Kihei to catch a boat. For shore diving, DiverSteve has the right links, but you'll likely have to drive at least to Kahana to get tanks/weights at Maui Dive Shop if you're going to venture off on your own.

Unfortunately there isn't much diving near Kapalua Bay.

Well, that's debatable. Two of my favorite summer shore dives are in Kapalua (not Kapalua Bay); but one name for the one with the shorter, less rocky hike is Long Walk.

My regular Seattle customer family really enjoys Long Walk. I have only shore dived Cliff House solo or with my indestructable BDB Beanniebrew. :idk:

There are days during summer when Lanai diving is not worth making the trip. Some of those days, Extended Horizons will go north; the guides are usually extatic! Rainbow Rock is beyond Honolua Bay; I hope to figure out an easy shore or kayak access for that area someday!

Extended Horizons used to take the boat to Honolua Bay on ocasion. I know they've boat dived Makalua-puna Point (Dragon's Teeth). I've crewed for Makuleia Bay (Slaughterhouse), Hawea Point and Namalu Bay (Cliff House). I've done all but Hawea Point from shore and plan to do Hawea Point from shore this summer. Kapalua Dive Company kayak dives Hawea Point / Namalu Bay.

The West Side has the deepest non surface swim shore diving that I know of off leeward Maui; a couple weeks ago my BDB & I submerged and surfaced within 10 yards of the beach, and hit 100 fsw in between. I chased spotted eagle rays for a couple minutes, at 90 fsw, and only lost the air war by a couple hundred psi. Of course she used ~70 cf and I used ~118 cf.

Last edited:
halemanō;5924000:
There are days during summer when Lanai diving is not worth making the trip.

What do you mean? B/c the conditions are not good? Why? Too much wind?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom