Huge nest of Squid Eggs at Nubble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
Dove Nubble light yesterday. In the cove as heading towards the island, came across the biggest next of squid Eggs have every seen. Nubble Squid eggs.jpg

Not sure how long since eggs were laid..

I checked squid world.com, Small juvenile squid hatch from the eggs in six to eight weeks so, that’s when can expect to have a lot of Squid in cove at Nubble. (and Stripers) Squid Reproduction

Very cool discovery! Thanks for sharing. In a scant few years they're going to be great as fried calamari or steaks! :) Question: Were the cases still translucent, or were they starting to become really leathery & opaque? I remember with Loligo opalescens that the egg cases become tough, nearly impervious to things like starfish attack. I don't know too much about the gestation period of this Loligo sp., but imagine that once it turns leathery the time to releasing juveniles would't be too long??? It would interesting if you had a conditioned saltwater tank to see these guys hatch on camera.

Cheers,

X

Ah!! now you have to go back every week to monitor them and hopefully you can capture some footage of them hatching and coming to life.

Super find!!!

Very cool discovery! Thanks for sharing. In a scant few years they're going to be great as fried calamari or steaks! :) Question: Were the cases still translucent, or were they starting to become really leathery & opaque? I remember with Loligo opalescens that the egg cases become tough, nearly impervious to things like starfish attack. I don't know too much about the gestation period of this Loligo sp., but imagine that once it turns leathery the time to releasing juveniles would't be too long??? It would interesting if you had a conditioned saltwater tank to see these guys hatch on camera.

Cheers,
X

Weren't white/translucent but turning beige/yellow. I'll be checking the site frequently.. Love diving at night when lots of squid out.

I was interested in how they got there and found videos on Youtube showing squid laying eggs caught on tape.

Weren't white/translucent but turning beige/yellow. I'll be checking the site frequently.. Love diving at night when lots of squid out.

I was interested in how they got there and found videos on Youtube showing squid laying eggs caught on tape.

wow, great find! I might just have to beg to tag along one of the times you go...

Absolutely. Nubble's a haul from where you are but a dive site you have to do. Happy to let you know when going again. My son and daughter are out done w/ finals Monday so will be looking to do after work dusk/night dives with them as they like Nubble. First, my son has to finish his Eagle project. Priority to get build done this month so could do project write up during July

My wife and I are thinking of diving nubble next Saturday for a tank or two... never dove there before. Hope we see that she is breaking in her new camera that would be soooo cool.

Cool. you'll enjoy it. It's easy to find. From entry point, head north east/east heading towards the island about 1/3 a way from the northern most point. It's shallow (depending on tide) 25-30 fsw. You'll come across it on way to rocks. Also, head north along the rocks towards the point. You'll see a couple resident Northern Red Anemones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom