i need to float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drown proofing will help. Done correctly, you can stay afloat for hours. Done incorrectly, you'll get tired quickly and won't make it. Take it slow and easy.

You can probably also learn to float on your back (sorta). Let your feet hang straight down. You will be close to vertical in the water (that's why it's sorta floating on your back) with your head tilted back. Take ta deep breath and keep your lungs as full as possible while you breathe. When I learned to float I was also very negatively buoyant, only my mouth and nose were out of the water, the rest of my body was underwater. Give it a try, you might be able to float, although I did once have a student who was so negative he couldn't float at all. Luckily, he could tred the required 15 minutes.

Lots of good advice here, maybe these comments will help cement the concepts.

I'm an AA male and I need to past my float test, the best I've been able to do is 3 mins. If I stop moving I sink like a rock. Are there any tricks that I can use to help out. Why is the 10 min float a necessary skill??

AA = African American??? Do you have relatively long limbs, heavy bone structure, and/or a proportionally short torso? If so, the math is working against you. Human buoyancy, for all practical purposes, is a balance between bone weight and volume of gas filled cavities. All soft tissues have a specific gravity so close to water it almost doesn’t matter.

Short of amputation or gas filled implants, all you can do is maximize displacement. The only part that needs to be above the water is your lips; everything else that is dry adds zero displacement and accelerates sinking. Arch your back until your mouth is dry, but submerge as much of the skull as possible. All that bone protecting our brains makes it the highest density part of the body. Second, take shallow breaths at the very top of your lung capacity. Think of your lungs as water-wings. Arching your back and pushing shoulders back are helpful here as well.

I wish you luck. I have known some guys that were really negatively buoyant, measured at ~1 Kg/2.2 Lbs! They were lean and athletic but sank like rocks. They could swim, but had to work a lot harder at it than the others just to stay on the surface. The float test may be a reasonable requirement for Naval Recruits where they never knew when they might be thrown in the water or for how long, but is unreasonable in recreational diving IMHO. I have never heard of a wetsuit being torn off someone in an accident. A swimming test for sure, an endurance test even, but for disadvantaged individuals I see nothing wrong with allowing them a wetsuit shorty to make up for their inherent negative buoyancy.

Last edited:
My husband sinks like a stone. He never thought he would pass DM. I told him to lay on his back, be totally relaxed, fill his lungs as much as possible, and keep his head back (think chin pointing toward ceiling). Worked for him! :wink:

I don't understand what AA male means? But I found and enjoy just doing floats is either just laying back and just chilling. Or my fav is doing a cross county ski move. Opposite hand opposite foot and just doing that, just like you are sking. Like you, if I just stop moving, I am at the bottom. The ski move takes almost no energy to keep it up.

Sorry, forgot to add that when doing the ski move, I body position is like I am sitting in a chair. Bottom down toward the bottom of the pool.

Judging from the AA Male comment and the name "Incognegro" I would assume this refers to a gentleman who is of the darker skinned persuasion...

Still not too sure how that is relevant to the OPs original question though.....

I probably should have failed mine but my OW instructor allowed me to wear my spring suit because we did our float/tread water (which were 2 separate things for us) tests at the end of one of the confined class days and I didn't have any swim trunks and was already freezing. I explained to him that I sink completely and can't float in fresh water. To the point where I drop at least a whole foot below the surface. (I can just barely float in salt water.)

The other class members thought it was funny to talk to me and watch me sink as I tried to answer them even with my wetsuit on.

I wish I had known about drown-proofing then...

true drown-proofing involves shouting men in tiny tan shorts.

Michael

Congratulations. What technique (or techniques) did you end up using for your tread/float?

damn. wished I heard of drown proofing before I did my float test. I wound up paddling with my hands underwater for the entire 8 minutes I had to do my test. Luckily for me I'm in excellent shape from all the cardio I do, but I was still pretty winded afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom