Too Much Weight...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing to consider is that there is no one "theory" on what constitutes "proper weighting." There are definitely more than one "proper weighting theories."

Here is a theory;

If we say that the last 500 psi, that the modern dumbed down scuba instruction says we are to surface with, is for our buddy when they are out of air, what if we are 40 feet down, with 700 psi, after a strenuous dive in current and surge, where your particularly buoyant buddy ends up out of air, excitedly needing to suck on your alternate in order to do a controlled ascent, and both of you are "perfectly weighted" for norman breathing at 15 feet with combined 1000 psi, how controlled will that combined 500 psi excited alternate ascent be?

I think at the very least "neutral at the surface with an empty tank" is a weighting theory that should be considered, if we are really going to be properly prepared for the emergencies we say we are preparing for.

I will try that and as GrumpyOldGuy said it is about experience and my wife is curvy. Thanks for all the replies
My wife is also of the "curvy" type body shape which means she has quite a fair bit more boyancy than I do. She just accepts that she has to carry more lead

the above is an excellent way to do a good weight check, but i have issue with this part, because you *will* have to do it again. and again. and again!

something i don't think the board gets across to people as well as we could is that 'the weight you need is the weight you need, until it isn't anymore.' if your wife needs 28 lb now, lovely. keep diving, though, and that need will change.

when i started, i needed i think 38lb. the next month, it was 18. now in that same set-up, it is 12. when i started doubles, i needed a 11lb tail weight. suddenly, i didn't anymore. when i started sidemount, i needed 4lb at my shoulders. in jan, after nearly a year, that weight was making me miserable & we took it off. i still need some weight, but not where it was.

weight needs are fluid and ever-changing, based on equipment, comfort, experience, and the phase of the moon.

Well said!

Again I appreciate all input...We are not going to over concern ourselves with geting to a magic number we just want to make sure we have done all we can to be safe, comfortable, and have the best dives we can. And with all the insight we get from the board and more time in the water it will all come together.

Thanks again

Each person's weighting needs are unique to them. Body type, overall size, gender, age, and exposure gear all factor in. So too does experience and comfort level. There is no "correct weight." For example, I am 5'10' 200 lbs, 58 year old male. In fresh cold water I wear a 5 mill over 3 mil hooded vest, with 5 mil boots. I wear 12 pounds. My 16 year old nephew,, 5'9" and 120 pounds needs 15 pound of weight with the same exposure gear. You would think he needs less, but he is a new diver, and like I said, everyone is unique. Use what you need.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom