Cut off date for OLD DM course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

belairbrian

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trying to find out when the cut off is for the "OLD" PADI DM course.

If you started under the old program, does your application have to be to PADI before July 1st?

or

Did you have to begin your training before July 1st?

All I could find was this from the initial training bulletin:

What about the current Divemaster materials?
We’ll transition to the new program over several months – similar to how we introduced the new IDC program. PADI Members should continue to use and sell DM materials in stock, but consider keeping a light inventory.

· The cut-off date for starting new candidates with the “old” DM materials is 1 July 2011. After this point, DM candidates and their instructors must use the new materials.

· TBA: what happens to Divemaster candidates who have not finished the “old” program by 1 July 2011

Has anyone seen the update to the TBA above?

I called PADI HQ on this issue last Friday because I have a DMC who was, shall we say, a little lax on some of his stuff! I was told that IF the program started prior to July 1 it could be finished after July 1. Of course, every program after July 1 has to be the new system.

As it turns out, my DMC got everything finished and the application has been sent in so I don't need to confirm that what I was told is valid!

I seem to recall a cut off date for something last June 1, 2010. What was that for?

I am doing the old course and started about 6 weeks ago.
Our dive centre has just bought a pack for another DM who starts tomorrow and his is the new one..

As long as the old course is started before July 1st its ok to finish it after with the old pack...

BTW I had a look through the new pack and think it looks as though it has been dumbed down a little...glad I am doing the old one

Jo

It has been "dumbed down a bit" your right... but to answer the first question... The new updates to the DM program must be started for anyone signing up on or after July 1st. If you were to start today and still were able to get the old books your would have one year to complete your course. We are now 100% on the new updated program and havebeen for a few months.

Back
Top Bottom