Poseidon Discovery MK VI question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmintz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been interested in rebreathers for a while now and was wondering other than being certified to use the particular rebreather that you dive with, is there any other certifications you have to have in order to dive a rebreather. In particular I am intrested in the Poseidon Discovery MK VI. It seems like it is more user friendly than some of the other rebreathers on the market and is designed more for the recreational divers which is all I am doing at this time.

The MK VI is in a class of "recreational" rebreathers. These units are driven by a computer which basically gives you an ok or not ok to dive or abort during a dive.

Compared to other rebreathers, it is not necessarily more user friendly.

Generally, rebreather training requires advanced nitrox 100% O2 but this course can likely be taught at the same time as the specific rebreather course.

recreational rebreather certification up to 40m on a mk6 does not require advanced nitrox as a separate certification. a lot of the same concepts will likely be covered in your course though. good luck with the mk6 - its a fantastic machine.

If the recreational rebreather certification doesn't require an advanced nitrox certification as well how would the cylinder containing 100% O2 get filled? I have always been under the assumption that you have to have an advanced nitrox certification to get fills of mixes greater than 40% Also what are the typical costs involved in getting a recreational rebreather certification, in particular the mk6?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom