To Nitrox or not to nitrox ,Why and how ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To answer the original question. Nitrox is simply safer than air due to the lower nitrogen levels forming in your tissues compared to regular air. Certification is relatively easy. Mainly math, knowing maximum operating depths.

Theres a growing trend around here for divers to go to Nitrox diving.
What are the advantages of going over to Nitrox and in simplistic terms what are the training requirements?

What he said although id add there is no statistically significant link that it reduces the chance of DCI when dived on an air profile when compared to air.

This is the point I wrongly assumed Tortuga was making earlier on.

He's saying (I'm guessing) there is no scientific data which objectively show a DCS safety margin is afforded by diving well within NDL as opposed to near or at NDL.

It nay be that it's never been studied or that the cases of DCS are sufficiently rare as to make it an impossible variable to isolate.

Personally, I'm comfortable with the conclusion even in the absence of proof, just like I'm comfortable with the complimentary conclusion that diving air to EAN limits is less safe than diving air to air limits.

I think what many are missing is that the occurance rate of DCS among the number of dives made worldwide is already so low that reducing the amount of nitrogen by diving nitrox will certainly lower the risk of DCS, but by how much? If the rate is now one in 100,000 and breathing nitrox made it one in 125,000 would that make you feel safer?

The problem is, DCS is not a binary condition. While recorded incidences of clinical DCS are rare, DCS itself is a continuum. I've never been in a chamber, but I do believe I've subjectively felt the effects of decompression on my body in cases where I pushed limits (either % of NDL without deco gas or % of ascent rate for the given NDL model).

The suggestion that diving EAN on Air tables is safer than diving Air on Air tables is no different than the suggestion that the further you are from the left of NDL, the safer. I find it odd that the former is disputed often yet I've never seen anyone take issue with the latter.

As far as training goes, we had to do the extra classroom work and do 3 dives pushing nitrox. At first, I could tell a difference in how I felt after a dive, now I can not tell a difference.

The suggestion that diving EAN on Air tables is safer than diving Air on Air tables is no different than the suggestion that the further you are from the left of NDL, the safer. I find it odd that the former is disputed often yet I've never seen anyone take issue with the latter.

Exactly. Well said.

:)

The first time I really noticed a difference using nitrox ( because it was all I had left ) was after a strenuous rescue class, I had not had a cramp in my calf and was not fatigued and this was after the final dive on Sunday so from then on I use it a lot more often but I just have to pay for the O2.

NITROX
You'll notice that after a dive you don't get the tired feeling. It's best for dives upto 30m. With the Enriched Air Course. If you enjoy long dives you'll notice the difference. Apart from that the air is cleaning unlike regular air. you'll notice that you don't the dry feeling after a dive. However that depends on everyone. Course information and suggestions are only a "message away"

Have fun and dive anywhere and anytime.....

Prepare two repetitive "simulation dives" on paper using standard "air" tables. Then, sit down with a friend who is nitrox certified, using their nitrox tables, and see what happens when you complete the same "simulation" dive. But, add this to the factor, calcualte in 4 dives per day over a period of 5 days using 36%......... ppo :no:

Reactions: D_B
NITROX
You'll notice that after a dive you don't get the tired feeling.

Isnt placebo great... There have been studies on this and no link what-so-ever found. There is also no scientific reason as to why you would feel less fatigued either.

Apart from that the air is cleaning unlike regular air. you'll notice that you don't the dry feeling after a dive..

Its the same gas with the same moisture content as normal. You bung O2 in then you bung filtered, dried air in. No difference. There is no difference there at all.

The compressed gas we breathe is very dry, if it wasn't the inside of tanks would be very poor due to corrosion.

And the placebo is great.

NITROX
You'll notice that after a dive you don't get the tired feeling.
I've alway found it amusing that people say this yet you never hear them say they feel less fatigued after making a shallow air dive. Lowering your END has no scientific effect on fatigue. Move slowly during the dive, slow your ascent a lot and see how much better you feel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom