First dive after completing course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing wrong with that at all. Especially since that is what you get certified to do. In fact the shop I help teach at, we do 5 check out dives. The first 4 are with an instructor and DiveCon if one is with the class then on the 5th dive while the instructors are finishing up the paper work we have the students plan and execute a dive with their buddy. Granted there are still experienced dive professionals on site for the 5th dive, the students are out on their own (with their buddy of course) just diving and having fun and working on the skills they have been taught.

Awesome that you are eager to get certified. I did the same thing you did in that I went back to my spot of certification for post dives. It was more that I knew it was a safe area and not a snake infested site. As time grew though I did some dives with dive masters on some ocean trips but most of all I did most dives in quarries and designated scuba parks. You may consider this too if possible as these offer no boat traffic in most cases (Some are on lakes though and there are always knuckle heads in boats that occasionally wander too close) and they offer no current most of the time as again they are designated safe zones for divers.

No matter if you start diving now with a new partner or later on it is inevitable that you will one day find yourself with a partner who is equal to or less experienced then you are. I personally love to take new divers under my wing so much I usually ask for an insta buddy whos as green as they can find one. Ive actually even turned down more experienced divers in the past for ones who were just on dive number 5. :D Just my 2 cents

Hi
My partner and I have just completed The Ow Course. Everything seems pretty staight forward and i had no issues in training. I want to go Diving with My partner to the same places we dived during training to practice the skills over again and just to go for a short dive and appreciate the diving without the stress of being 'tested'.
The depth is about 9m and in an estuary close to shore. I wanted to go by ourselves to to go at our own slow pace revising the skills we have just learnt before heading of in a group so can gain some more confidence .. My question is ..am i being foolhardy going out with just the two of us for our first dive after the course?

nettyadam It's exactly what I wondered a couple of years ago - got the OW and then wondered if I was really safe and confident to head into the water with my equally novice buddy without a DM - but same as you plan, we did. We picked an area we knew, made sure we had good foresight on the conditions, carried out the best buddy check possible - and then nervously took our first steps into a shallow dive. A bit like crossing a road for the first time ever !!

Go for it, enjoy, remember your training taught you 'how' to dive - and now you need to dive dive dive to continue to learn.

Safe diving.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom