What are your biggest pet peeves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on now you metric-imperialist combatents. Be like us dual citizens and embrace both of these wonderful systems. Metric IS faster, though. Since I immigrated 34 years ago I've been driving 100 Kanadian Miles per Hour.

When people in the group don't understand the benefit of slow and methodical. I hate it when someone feels the need to swim here and then swim there and then swim over here as if they're missing something. I spend more time keeping an eye on them so they don't kick my mask off. It's really annoying.

Oh, and people that stop or backup in swim-throughs.

There is such a thing, and tech divers who do long, long deco stops sometimes have them. But for the rest of us, the dry mouth thing gets better with accumulated time underwater, somehow--maybe the body adjusts to produce more saliva or something, but I know that when I was a new diver I used to get thirsty from breathing compressed air, and now I rarely do. But anyway, some solutions...
SCUDA
Apollo Bio Filter discounts on sale Apollo
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=55

Another thing you can do is take one of those little plastic bag-like juice packs along....poke it with a straw, or even gnaw at the corner and take a drink, keeping your finger over the end of the straw to reduce salt water infiltrating into the juice...the longer you take to drink it, the more salt water will get mixed in, so it's really more suitable for drinking quickly once you open it.

Okay, I wouldn't normally post twice to this thread but something is pet peeving me greatly and I would like to post it up.

It is an extreme pet peeve of mine that every time I read a thread in one of the forums about someone interested in pursuing advanced diving in any form (ice, tech, solo, CCR, etc.) the following paraphrase, in some way/shape/form almost inevitably shows up:

"Don't you think you should consider getting X more dives/experience before purusing X type training..."

Its like people insist that the person that is asking the question has no idea what there doing asking the question, and someone feels obligated to tell them as if it were a legal warning on the part of the thread.

If that's not directly involved with what they asked, don't tell them that. Give them the answer to the question you would think is best based on your experience and knowledge, don't default to that crap answer. People come to these forums in search of knowledge and wisdom from others that have gone before so that they may better themselves as divers, not to be told that they must be at least "this tall" in order to ride. Let the instructor that they approach for the training do that.

Happy Bubbles!

--nielsent

Elitist DIR/GUE douchebags.

... people who refer to other divers as douchebags ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Okay, I wouldn't normally post twice to this thread but something is pet peeving me greatly and I would like to post it up.

It is an extreme pet peeve of mine that every time I read a thread in one of the forums about someone interested in pursuing advanced diving in any form (ice, tech, solo, CCR, etc.) the following paraphrase, in some way/shape/form almost inevitably shows up:

"Don't you think you should consider getting X more dives/experience before purusing X type training..."

Its like people insist that the person that is asking the question has no idea what there doing asking the question, and someone feels obligated to tell them as if it were a legal warning on the part of the thread.

If that's not directly involved with what they asked, don't tell them that. Give them the answer to the question you would think is best based on your experience and knowledge, don't default to that crap answer. People come to these forums in search of knowledge and wisdom from others that have gone before so that they may better themselves as divers, not to be told that they must be at least "this tall" in order to ride. Let the instructor that they approach for the training do that.

Happy Bubbles!

--nielsent

I can't totally agree with this ... because people really don't, sometimes, know what they're doing when they ask that question. A good example is someone who just got certified asking about solo diving. Sorry ... but I don't think a new diver should solo dive. They just don't have enough context around what they learned in class to anticipate or prepare for many of the situations they can get themselves into ... and it can too easily lead to tragic consequences.

I understand that they WANT to solo ... sometimes even for valid reasons ... but if you see someone careening toward a cliff, totally oblivious to the consequences of flinging themselves over the precipice ... wouldn't you, in good conscience, want to say something?

Divers at all levels have an amazing capacity for overestimating their ability. I've known too many divers over the past decade who are no longer in this world because they thought they could handle a dive that, it turned out, they couldn't ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I love diving with new divers who remember theri training and are courteous, much more than those who are oblivious to everything and everyone around them. Se "The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette"

nielsent & Bob, I kind of agree with both of you. Bob, yes I think that if something extra should be mentioned regarding the OP's safety it definately should be mentioned. But nielsent, your post brings up something I have whined about before-- When someone simply asks a question the responses should be answers to that question, not opinions on some part of the question as to whether something is a good thing to do (ethically?) or not. Unless those opinions concern safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom