first set of dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I recently bought the remainder of our gear. My question would have you dove this gear yet? It is not always possible, but if you haven't and can I would recomend it. I dove different gear during our training, as well as rental from our dive vacations, and found that I do not like wrap around BC's and that a small profile reg is more my preference than say something like the g250, it breaths good but kinda tried to pull out of my mouth at depth.

Anyway, what I am getting at is that I think all gear will let you get underwater, but you want to be comfortable. If your looking to just have your own and not rent and you only dive a few times a year or every few years then it should be just fine. There is a learning curv to using new gear but you should not have to have to alter it to be comfy in it.

Have fun..

If you get it, you can go.

Comfort & fit should be the 2 things you look for first. Next would be that the equipment matches the type of diving you plan to do. I use a wide varitey of equipment like Scubapro, Oceanic, Aqualung, Apex, Hollis, Dive Rite, DUI & so on. I use what works for me & the diving I do, not just 1 brand. Also another thing to look at is how easily it can be serviced locally.

I have been diving over 15yrs and I would dive the Oceanic you selected. When I took notice of the Oceanic gear some 15yrs ago, my perception was that the company Oceanic was targeting the lower price range of the market. In other words, lets beat the competition on price. I have seen the Oceanic brand on gear on dive boats many times.

I started with an Aqualung regulator because at that time I was told that Aqualung supplied the US Navy with their regulators. That alone sold me. I have purchased additional aqualung regulators since then.

I started with a Zeagle BC and changed to an Aqualung Black Diamond (Seaquest). I wore the Zeagle out. Had to repair it many times over the years.

My personal opinion is the BC is "important" but in the recreational diving realm, as long as I can drop weights OR strip the BC off and ascend to the surface, I am happy. I think in general the higher priced BC will be a little more dependable.

Something I personally like in BC design is two weight pouches. This allows more control of your ascent than dropping all your weight at the same time.

As long as you go with a name brand and stay between mid price and top price, you will likely make out fine.

I recently got OW certified (working on my AOW) and got this package (with some upgrades) for me and my 14 year old son. My thinking was originally that I just wanted to get a decent non air integrated computer so that we would have a computer we were familiar with, and not necessarily have to quickly learn the basics of each new computer we rented. However, the price of the computers I was looking at ranged from 30% to 50% of the Oceanic package, so it seemed like it made sense to just jump in.

In the end I upgraded the package by going to the Delta 4.2 reg w/DVT and the Veo 2.0 computer in a NavCon. I'm sure I may change out some of the pieces in the future, but for now this seems to serve me well. I really like the swivel of the Delta regulator, though I'm sure a flexhose might provide similar comfort.

It was a balancing act though, between son's desire for cool gear and wife's suspicions about the $$$. In the end, I pulled the trigger - I figured I could apply to diving the rule of the number of bicycles a cyclist should own: One short of divorce!

The gear would work fine for you im sure.....Personally, I would look into some higher end stuff, especially the computer. For a little more money you can get a computer that will keep up with your growing abilities as time goes on. At the very least get a nitrox computer, and as far as the rest of the package it seems reasonable. Check out divers-supply.com and see if you can get a better deal there, but no matter what find an LDS that has the same type of gear and see if it fits you well. If you tell them the price you can get elsewhere, generally they will work with you on a price from them. This gives you a place to have your gear serviced when you need it as well.

Lots of good comments, and I have had good experience with Oceanic products. Here are some additional considerations as you consider alternatives: 1) In what conditions will you be diving primarily? 2) How many dives per year do you anticipate using this gear? 3) What are your personal characteristics- height, weight, etc. 4) How many years do you (or someone you pass it on to) anticipate to use the equipment; 5) in what activities will you primarily engage when diving- just enjoying the view, photography, hunting, etc. and 5) What is your budget?

Write down these factors and then go to a reputable dive shop and speak to someone there. As noted elsewhere in the thread, see if you can try on similar equipment in a pool or local dive site. Good for you for equiping yourself early. I bought my own gear right at the time of certification on recomendation of my instructor, and lerned to dive in it. That was a big plus for me. Have many years of great diving!
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
To save some money go to your LDS and checkout their rental gear, they often unload it at a greatly reduced price, it may be faded but I'll wager it is in top line condition. I went to the owner of the LDS I use and asked him if he could make me up a reg for $XXX.XX amount of dollars which he said yes, I have a great reg with octo for a much cheaper price than I would have paid for a packaged set.

Something I personally like in BC design is two weight pouches. This allows more control of your ascent than dropping all your weight at the same time.

Umm? Are you saying you ditch weight to make an ascent?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom