What tanks are you diving on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ndemeis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I am in the market for tanks. And was curious what others are using in the NE area. I am leaning toward HP100 or HP119 from xscuba or hp100 or hp117 from faber. I do plan to do double later on...but haven't really researched that. Having a lot of trouble making my decision

I use a 72 cf Faber steel and love the fact its -11lb full and compact for the shore diving walk to the water. A lot of people use steel ranks and more air the better as long as you can carry it well.

I dive the 100 CF high-pressure PST (same as Worthington) tanks. Love to have the extra (vs. AL80s) air, especially when shore-diving as I'm not the one to call the turn-around in most cases. (Other than of course when I dive with a buddy with big tanks too.) They can be had at local shops for something around $400. Model number is X7-100. I've seen them on Craigslist occasionally as well.

Faber HP Blue Steel 100's Nitrox. And I just picked up a Faber Blue Steel HP 117.
It's a mammoth. But I love it. Any questions PM me. I'll even let you try one out
if you come to Cape Ann for a Dive.

Mark

XS LP-77 I love them so far

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

While I do own Fabers, I dont advocate them. The material they are made from is very pourous, and when they get rust inside the tank its a real bear to get it out. Other than that i have no issues with Faber. Personally I dive XS LP 121's. You end up with more air at a 2400psi fill than the HP tanks are giving you at 3500psi.....and some shops cant give you 3500, so you end up with an HP tank filled to 3000. Personally i think you get more bang for your buck with the LP tanks.

Thanks for the offer mark. I might take you up on that when I get to boston in september.

And thanks for all the replies so far.

So if I picked up a set of hp119 i would be pretty good for most dives in NE? I am a big guy. About 190 or 210 in the off season so weight is not much of a concern but I am not real tall 5'9"

Last edited:
Something to consider is what type of diving you will be doing. If you're boat diving at depth you definately want the bigger tanks. If you shore dive like a lot of us do, with long walks to the water over rough terrian at times, you might want a lighter tank. I have 2 steel 100's and a steel 72. I find myself using the 72 a lot more than the 100's. If I am in the shallows less than 30' - I can get almost an hour out of it. I was in for over an hour yesterday playing underwater tourist in 20' depths and only used up 1/2 of my streel 100. It also depends upon what kind of shape you're in. If you're in your 20's, then toting a 120 around might be a piece of cake. If you're in your 60's like me, I'd break an ankle on our slippery rocks trying to lug one of those on my back. I seem to do a lot of shallow, one tank dives and the 72 suits most of my dives. So if you know someone with a boat that goes out a lot get the big tanks. If you just want to play in the shallows, consider a smaller one. But get steel - the less lead you have to carry - the better.

I dive with HP100s but I also own an HP119. I like their size and buoyancy characteristics. For singles I like diving with the HP119

I guess it really depends on your size and air consumption. I think HP100s are perfect for doubles. Doubles HP119 would be a bit too much for me although certainly do-able.

I dive any number of steel tanks, all but two of them are Worthingtons, those are the older 3500PSI tanks. I prefer the Worthingtons over Fabers, for both the finish and the valve as I hate carrying tanks with the Blue Steel valves. I have 100's for shore diving and I have a set of doubles. I also have some 130's for boat diving. I've found that the 100's make great singles for shore diving as they have enough gas to last at least an hour at most shore sites in MA, much longer if you like to play in the shallows. They also make great doubles if and when you decide to double them up.

Back
Top Bottom