Close call at Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wonder if the OOA was due to diver inattention to air supply or freeze- up/ free flow. Below 40 ft in most quarries around the region the water is very cold (Low 50's to low 40's). Even though 50 ft is not consiedred deep, cold water diving is not to be taken lightly, regardless of the depth.

The summer is not looking good for the quarries with close calls and accidents. Yet another one this past weekend.

Gilboa Quarry Dive Accident | Indiana's NewsCenter: News, Sports, Weather, Fort Wayne WPTA-TV, WISE-TV, CW, and My Network | Local

That looks to me to be a report from 2008. (There is a 6/18/2010 screen date - but the article itself appears to have been last updated Updated Jul 21, 2008 at 12:10 PM EDT)

It is an old story, huh?

I saw another "news" story last night about a guy who got water in his reg while diving a quarry. Not hurt, but rushed to ER as a precaution, story published about another non-accident.

I was at Gilboa Sunday doing a Deco dive to 137' (bottom temp was 39 degrees).

And yes there was an "Incident" at Gilboa while I was there.

It was not on the deep side, but appeared to be on/near a shallow side training platform.
We were doing our pre-dive checks on the surface near the deep platform when two rescue vehicles arrived.
The sirens were our 1st indication that something was amiss.

We dove shortly after EMS arrived as we didn't want to have to get out of the "pool" if someone "blew" the whistle!!! :D

After our dive we were told that a rescue class was underway (shallow side) and that the rescue instructor had "turned blue" and that the EMS was called as a precaution.
I do not know if that is accurate or not.

6/20/2011 12:50:00 PM
Accident at Gilboa Quarry

GILBOA - The Putnam County Sheriff's office responded to a scuba diving accident at the Gilboa Quarry at approximately 10:50 a.m. on June 19.

David Rosech, 58 of Mt. Vernon was scuba diving when he saw a dive partner ascending. while Rosech was ascending the check on his other diver, he coughed and inhaled a small amount ofwater. Rosech ascended as slow as possible but was still transporter to Memorial Hospital in Lima.

In addition to the sheriff's office, Pandora and Ottawa-Glandorf EMS, Gilboa Fire Department and Ottawa Heavy Rescue assisted at the scene.

Last edited:
I was at Gilboa Sunday doing a Deco dive to 137' (bottom temp was 39 degrees).

And yes there was an "Incident" at Gilboa while I was there.

6/20/2011 12:50:00 PM
Accident at Gilboa Quarry

GILBOA - The Putnam County Sheriff's office responded to a scuba diving accident at the Gilboa Quarry at approximately 10:50 a.m. on June 19.

David Rosech, 58 of Mt. Vernon was scuba diving when he saw a dive partner ascending. while Rosech was ascending the check on his other diver, he coughed and inhaled a small amount ofwater.

Looks like there was an incident there - just not the one linked to in the original post (which was about a 22 y/o Krystal M. in 2008).

Well it sounds like it was a minor incident that has already been confused with another incident in the past.
The report will be out if if warrants one, it sounds like it was well handled by those in the water.

What tstormdiver says is very true of Gilboa water temps are cold and a 50' dive should be planned as a 60' to allow for the cold water.
That is straight from OW training!
The problem is that many divers are becoming complacent on cold water skills and just plain 18 basic skills.
Once you get your card does not mean your training is over.

Folks the media has an axe to grind with Gilboa and will blow ANY incident out of proportion.
Accidents need to be reported but sensationalizing, fabricating, speculating, or just plain lying about details can not be allowed.
The families of the injured diver deserve to be treated with respect and care.
The general media cares not nor respects not either of these, it is all about getting numbers of readers or $$$$$ they are one in the same!

Please before you post incident information verify the facts this can be harmful to others both individuals and dive op's or quarries.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Back
Top Bottom