FIX G11 Housing Problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnewt

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The the huge amount of useful information people have shared on this forum finally urged me to purchase the FIX G11 housing form my Canon G11 camera last Xmas. However, I have noticed that water enters underneath the flash bracket/plate on the housing. It usually only does this at depth (say 20 metres). There is also an O-ring there. However, there are now salt deposits on the o-ring. Having owned an underwater camera of some sorts for 10 years, I fully appreciate the importance of rinsing and soaking the camera after use. However, I cannot flush out the salt crystals as water only enters this part of the camera under depth.

Apologies if this makes little sense - I have attached a picture to try and clarify the garbled nonsense I have written above. Is this a fault of the camera or is it normal? Do I need t get it serviced and if so does anyone know anywhere in the UK that could do this? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FIX-G11.jpg
    FIX-G11.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 117
I have a Fisheye FIX for G11 housing as well, and am finding the same condition you have documented here - the o-ring behind the flash bracket appears to be receding (a little bit) around the edges, and I have a build up of salt crystals around the edge. I bought the housing in December 2009, and have not serviced the camera yet and have not had any water enter the housing - diving in Anilao, Palau, Indonesia & around Australia. I was already told that where/how you dive factors into this behaviour, as subjecting the housing to pressure/water types may facilitate salt build up - but that doesn't really help you! I am presuming you follow arduous soak/rinse clean up of your housing, and despite me doing that with mine i still found salt crystals around the edges !!

At the moment I am waiting for a response to an email that I sent to the service department at Backscatter.com (good folks where i purchased my housing) to see what they think, including photos, and will post a response when I get it.

Thanks for bringing this up though, good to know where a fault may eventually occur and prevent it from happening!

Hi Franktai

I would be very interested in hearing the reponse from Backscatter - I'd much appreciate it if you could share the results with me on this forum. Incidentially, I took the camera+housing on 6 dives last weekend up to 30m with no issues at all. The water didn't penetrate as far as the o-ring. I'm pretty diligent when it comes to looking after my housings, but bar unscrewing the face plate and cleaning the o-ring myself(which I'm not prepared to do), I can see no other way of getting rid of the salt crystals - unless of course I can get it serviced.
I could be wrong, but from the photos I've seen, the S90 housing has a similar design. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had (or not had) the same problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom