Trip Report: Socorro Islands on the Solmar V, June 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conradb212

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just got back from an eight-day dive trip on the Solmar V live-aboard to the Islas Revillagigedos, better known as the Socorro islands.

We flew from Sacramento to San Jose del Cabo on US Air on US Air, stayed overnight at the Solmar-owned Quintae del Sol hotel in Cabo San Lucas (much recommended: nice, clean, large rooms, inexpensive (US$60)).

Solmar crew picked us up for trip to Cabo Marina to board the 112-foot Solmar V, a sleek, elegant vessel with 10 crew and a max of 22 passengers (we had 21). Lounge/salon on main deck very elegant, like a pub. All brass, dark wood, stained glass.

12 staterooms on lower decks, all quite small with upper and lower bunks. All have private bathrooms, with shower/toilet combo. Little room for storage, enough outlets, excellent A/C throughout the vessel. Excellent water pressure and flushing, enough hot water. Even with full boat there's enough room in lounge and on dive deck. Nitrox onboard (US$125/trip) and highly recommended due to average depth of dives.

Crossing to San Benedicto islands (about 250 miles) takes 22+ hours and the fairly narrow Solmar V tends to roll a bit side-to-side, so those prone to sea sickness, medicate yourself.

5 dives at 2.5 sq-mile volcanic San Benedicto (Fondeadoro, Boiler, Cape Fear) colder than expected (66F), viz mediocre, but saw first giant mantas.

3 dives at 50 sq-mile Socorro after 35 mile crossing from San Benedicto. Water mid-70s, mantas, dolphins, sharks. Inspection by Mexican naval crew who have a small station in otherwise uninhabited volcanic island.

Overnight crossing to Roca Partida, another 85 miles into the ocean. It's a twin rock sitting in 220 feet of water, sticking out by some 90 feet. The sense of remoteness here is intense, diving is off pangas, water was mid 70s, many white tips, much life, surge, impressive wall all around the rock. According to DMs, less life than they normally see.

Return to Socorro for four more dives (Cabo Pearce, Punta Tosca, Roca O'Neal), then back to San Benedicto for final four dives (El Canon, Cape Fear).

Diving is either off the Solmar V (easy, with excellent dive deck and ladder system) or from the two pangas. The pangas always patrol and pick you up if you miss the anchor line. Overall, viz less than expected (20-100 feet), scenery spectacular, most dives around 100 feet. Giant manta encounters absolutely thrilling. Some divers saw two whale sharks and groups of hammerheads. Dolphins occasionally played with us, but this trip is about mantas.

Excellent crew (all Mexican, all speak passable to good English), excellent food, would definitely do again. Small cabins may be an issue for the claustrophobic or physically challenged. Current, surge and depth mean this is for intermediate to advanced divers, but our wide cross-section of old and young never had a problem.

Also see my full, illustrated review of the Solmar V trip to Socorro.

Great report! Thanks for sharing. In all, how many dives total (and per day)? Rough idea of cost? It's a trip we've discussed, but I've yet to look into any details. Glad you had a great time.

I did a Socorro trip on the Solmar V in February. We did 4 dives/day except at Roca Partida where we did 3/day due to the greater depths. Base cost is about $3200, but if you subscribe to their newsletter they often run specials that include a room the night before, nitrox and a few other things. We paid $2995 for everything--they covered the Mexican 11% tax, we got a rooma the Quinta del Sol the night before and nitrox was included. It was an amazing trip that I highly recommend!

Thanks for the trip report! I can't even imagine how unbelievably cool it would be to dive with mantas, dolphins, whale sharks, and sharks all on the same trip (many on the same dive)!

What cylinders do they provide? It looks like some of the dives are relatively deep, so an Al80 is probably not ideal (plus, with cool water and thicker exposure protection, I'd much prefer a negatively buoyant steel cylinder).

solmar uses Al 80 which are more than enough for the dives. I have not heard of any of the other boats which do the trip providing larger tanks though I guess you could make a special request and see what happens. Done a number of trips on the solmar and never heard anybody complain about not enough air with the 80,s

Yes, they use AL 80s, as almost all live-aboards. They filled them to about 3,500 psi hot, so we always had at least 3,000 psi when the tanks cooled off. Boat dives were limited to 60 minutes, Panga dives to 50 minutes. Most of my dives were between 90 and 110 feet, but it was usually current or water temperature that limited my dives (most of us were all underdressed for San Benedicto's 66F; Socorro and Roca Partida were mid 70s), not air.

List price is US$3,195 plus 11% Mexican tax, but there are often some kinds of promotions. No fuel surcharge, departure tax and other expenses (other than Nitrox and a $15 marine park fee), but the crew should get 8-10% tip.

We did 19 dives total (for a full dive list, see my illustrated Solmar trip review).

solmar uses Al 80 which are more than enough for the dives. I have not heard of any of the other boats which do the trip providing larger tanks though I guess you could make a special request and see what happens. Done a number of trips on the solmar and never heard anybody complain about not enough air with the 80,s

Nautilus Explorer has steel DIN 100's for an extra $36 a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom