Wide Angle Lens recommendation for XZ-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carry93

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

I've recently got an Olympus XZ-1 with underwater housing PT-050. I am now looking for a underwater changeable Wide Angle lens.

I've browsed around and found the following.

1. Olympus PTWC-01
2. Ikelite W-20 Wide-Angle Lens
3. Other brandnames like INON....etc?

Can you pls share with me your opinion? I know the PTWC-01 may have dark corner above surface but it is gone when underwater, so this can be acceptance. Yet, it seems no one has tried the Ikelite yet and also other brand, if there is any review, suggestion or things I need to take into account before I buy, pls. do let me know.

Cheers!

I have just browsed INON and found that UWL-H100 28M67 Type 1 is standard wide, if want super wide, add another DOME lens Unit II for UWL-H100, can anyone comment this set up pls? thanks a lot

Do a search here. You will find from several sources that the only lens that is recommended is the Olympus PTWC-01. If you have any questions you can ask the posters from those threads. The oly lens has a fov of 100degrees which is medium wide. Can't add a dome which is unfortunate.

Thanks jdfmail, I've searched and also some reviews online as well.

Maybe you don't want to know, but finally I've narrowed down my choices to the following:

Macro Lens
1. F.I.T. ACU-05 and ACU-08 Close Up Lens ( the lens are 46mm only, I need a 46-67mm adapter)
2. INON UCL 165M67 and UCL-330

Wide Angel:
1. INON UWL-H100 28M67 type 1 (can further add Dome Lens Unit II)
2. Olympus PTWC-01

Thanks

Have you read somewhere that the INON UWL-H100 28M67 type 1 works well with this camera?

If you do get that lens, please post a report once you had a chance to use it.

Good luck!

The Olympus lens was specially designed for 28mm wide angles. The existing Inon will not work, but I hear there is a new Inon coming that might. However, the Olympus is of supreme optical quality and works great on this housing. You so not need any dome ports or other such things to complicate it further (which defeats the purpose of a compact set-up). Just screw it in and off you go with about an 18mm view!

I know because I have one. I am upgrading my system to DSLR and have the Oly Wide angle adapter for sale. Please see my ad in the for sale - photography section.

looks like the inon is not compatible with the PT050 housing...not sure the ikelite is either. that being said, i have the 67mm thread converter on my ikelite housing with an inon AD adapter for my AD mount UWL-105AD Wide Conversion Lens and UCL 165AD close up lens...both mount fine but there is some vignetting on the 105. not a huge ikelite fan but i plan to toss the ikelite set up for an oly set up later.

Back
Top Bottom