XZ-1, PT-050, and Wide Angle Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan

Contributor
Reaction score
We tested all of the lenses we could get our hands on on a weighted tripod to control distance, and I thought I'd share the results here.

Control, No Lens
xz1-no_lens.jpg

Nauticam Wet Mate Dome Port (in air fov)
xz1-wmd.jpg

Olympus PTWC-01
xz1-ptwc01.jpg

Inon UWL-H100 28M67 Type 1
xz1-uwlh10028m67t1.jpg

Inon UWL-H100 28M67 Type 1 + Inon Dome Port
Please excuse the air bubbles!
xz1-uwlh10028m67t1%2Bdome.jpg

Dyron .3x
xz1-dyron.3.jpg

Fix UWL-04
xz1-fixuwl04.jpg

Inon UFL-165AD
xz1-ufl165ad.jpg

Thanks for posting Ryan. Interesting how equal the Inon UWL-H100 and the Oly PTWC-01 look. To my eye there's a slight bit less linear distortion with the Oly lens as well. If only it didn't weigh 3.2 pounds!

Jack

Hi Ryan
For sure the Dyron 0.3x is not made for this housing.
The DY.67WA15 was made for Canon WP-DC38 - WP-DC35 and Ikelite S95 with no vignetting.
(Btw, a DY.67WA15II will be available soon: a more efficient lens for more housings)
Have you tested the DY.67WA20 and DY.67WA24 too? Do you have pictures?
Thanx
Christel

which adapter did you use to mount the UFL165AD to the PT050?

the test was done with a type II wasn't it?

I've got a Olympus PTWC-01 in new condition for sale if anyone is interested.

along with my engineer at work we did some tests using the nauticam housing and Fix UWL-04 WA lens. one with the 52/67mm ring that comes with the lens and one with the 52/67mm step down ring I just got from jack at optical ocean sales. the one that comes with the lens lets the Fix UWL-04 screw right down onto the lens of the housing and the one from jack holds the lens about .050" off of the housing lens. they were both done off of a tripod in air after putting them in a bucket of water, screwing on the lens and then sealing the joint with that super stretchy silicone repair tape to seal in the water, this actually worked rather well. we wrote down all the numbers and then he crunched the numbers. mind you these are probably not exact and true but we figured we had about a 5% error margin so they are pretty close. here are the FOV estimates:

Fix UWL-04 with 52/67mm ring supplied with the lens: 122%

Fix UWL-04 with 52/67mm stepdown ring from jack: 109%

fairly good numbers I think. I will be using it on some dives soon and will try both rings to compare and will post the results. I like this lens as it is half the price of the INON with dome and not nearly as heavy as the fat pig PTWC 01.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom