First timers in Bermuda-- need hotel, dive shop/site, scooter rental recommendations!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemaster86

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all,

My husband and I are going to Bermuda for the first time Sept 1-6, 2011. We were looking for some advice for:

1. Hotel-- something cheaper (under $175 would be great). Walking distance to a beach / kitchenette a plus.

2. Dive center-- We will be diving 3 days and will be bringing gear.

3. Dive sites-- Which would you do in 3 days?

4. Scooter Rentals-- Somewhere that will not rip us off for 6 day rental

Thanks!!:D

Forgot to mention. Both in our late-20s and are very experienced divers-- DM/nitrox, but not tech.... yet!

I'm sure that others will chime in but here are a few thoughts:
1) Not sure. Given your target price, I'd suggest checking out the smaller hotels and or guest houses.

2) Some good dive ops: Dive Bermuda located at the Fairmont Southampton Hotel, Blue Water Divers, located near Somerset (I think-not sure), and Triangle Divers location ??, and I heard that they had some trouble with their Boat (a fire ??)

3)The wrecks of the Hermes, and the Constellation;The Southwest breaker reef.

4) Not sure about the scooter rentals, but I know that every year we have gone to Bermuda, our "local" friends tell us of the number of tourists who get pretty badly hurt in scooter wrecks. If you already drive a scooter or motorcycle at home, then maybe you'll be able to do it..
[ Sorry if that sounds "preachy", but I've seen too many leg/arm casts, wheelchairs,etc. resulting from visitors trying scooters. Please be careful!]

A couple of things to consider: Most of the Ops dive in areas of the ocean close to where they are located; Rental Cars are NOT available (not permitted by law);Taxis are great, but like many things in Bermuda, expensive; buses are cheap, but , of course they run on their schedule;[The point being that where you stay may impact the dive op. you choose, or Vice-versa.] - I'm thinking of problems that might occur if you are planning on bringing your own gear.

I love the island, and hope you enjoy your trip.
take care.

1. Hotel - no idea
2. Triangle Diving has plenty of good reviews (and a friend of mine works there) :)
3. No idea
4. For scooters - Elbow Beach Cycles has a discount on at the moment - but as Miked said above - scooters in Bermuda can be a tricky biz. Be careful if you are new to them or Bermuda.

If you go with Triangle Divers, the Grotto Bay Beach Resort is right next door - on the same property. You will dive mostly on the east side. We used Oleander for our scooter. They have larger doubles that can actually move the weight of two people around - they will deliver and pick up where ever you stay (as do most of the scooter rentals). Triangle has a place to store gear. Grotto Bay has a bus stop very close by.

Bill

Hi,

Thanks again for all your advice. I am still in the process of choosing a dive center. So far, Dive Bermuda (Fairmont Southampton Hotel), Blue Water Divers, and Triangle Divers have been recommended.

We decided to stay at the Clairfont apartments on the south shore in Warwick (Clairfront Apartments), so something that is easy to get to front the hotel is a plus.

I have been reading reviews online, and Triangle divers has great reviews, but it's far away. Blue Water's reviews are horrendous, so they are out. Dive Bermuda is close to the hotel, but reviews are somewhere in the middle. Also, they don't have rates on their website, appear to be primarily into giving classes, and didn't answer my email.... I would like to avoid them if they are the type of center that will throw very experienced divers in with OW classes... I really hate that.
Who would you recommend?

Thanks!!

We dove Bermuda for the first time in 2009. When I did my research, I only found the three dive ops you already know about. Bermuda is a beautiful island and there is a lot to see but I would not consider it a true dive destination. The diving was nice and I would go back but its not place to go just for diving. There is no nitrox. Diving is essentially limited to the dive ops and two tanks morning or 1 tank afternoon. Transportation has to be thought out. We rented scooters and drive about 1.5 miles to Blue Water Divers. Can be tough with all your gear. The bus and ferry system is fantastic. Get a multiday card on the day of arrival. The caveat with the buses are they are for carrying people. We were told not to use the buses when carrying luggage (like to and from the airport). You probably could use it carrying your dive gear but only if it will fit in a bag on your lap. You could probably pick an op and leave most of your gear with them during your stay. Enjoy the diving but you will miss out if you don't explore the top side beauty of the island. Naval Dockyard on a non cruise ship day is a nice visit. Bermuda is expensive but if you have an apartment with a kitchen you can save a ton. You can bring food in and food at the local markets was not outrageous. We were four travelers, rented part of private home. We had arranged in advance for a private driver for pick up and drop off at the airport. Did not cost more than regular taxi. We stopped for bus passes and groceries on the way from the airport to our lodging. Highly recommend. Good Luck

Hi,

Thanks again for all your advice. I am still in the process of choosing a dive center. So far, Dive Bermuda (Fairmont Southampton Hotel), Blue Water Divers, and Triangle Divers have been recommended.

We decided to stay at the Clairfont apartments on the south shore in Warwick (Clairfront Apartments), so something that is easy to get to front the hotel is a plus.

I have been reading reviews online, and Triangle divers has great reviews, but it's far away. Blue Water's reviews are horrendous, so they are out. Dive Bermuda is close to the hotel, but reviews are somewhere in the middle. Also, they don't have rates on their website, appear to be primarily into giving classes, and didn't answer my email.... I would like to avoid them if they are the type of center that will throw very experienced divers in with OW classes... I really hate that.
Who would you recommend?

Thanks!!

I'll add another 2 cents. I have been diving with Dive Bermuda on vacation for many years, and while I can't speak to their current rates, or how efficient they are in replying to emails, I do know that every time I have dived with them, when there is an ow class, (not frequently) it is usually small- one or 2 students, and they work separately with their own DM/ instructor.. They are on the same (and only) boat, but I have never found them intrusive regarding the diving for certified divers.
Based on my observations, classes represent only a small percentage of their business.
They do have the Discover scuba Diving ('resort course") divers on their afternoon one tank dive, but, as with the OW class-they don't, IMO, "get in the way". Of course, things can vary from week to week.
Of the 3 ops that I mentioned in my earlier reply, I have NO experience with Triangle-I have heard good stuff.Blue Water Divers-I had one okay experience, one not so good.
Dive Bermuda- Has been getting my vote since 1983!!
I'd suggest calling them-# is on their website, I think, and ask your questions.
I have always enjoyed diving with them. Of course, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

I was in Bermuda for my honeymoon 10 years agao, and stayed at Grotto Bay Beach resort and did a discover scuba with the dive shop there-- Grotto Bay was lovely. It sounds like with gear, you would want to stay near the dive shop that you choose.

We rented scooters and drive about 1.5 miles to Blue Water Divers.

What did you think of Blue Water divers? All the reviews I have read are horrible, but it is really close to our hotel.

We had arranged in advance for a private driver for pick up and drop off at the airport. Did not cost more than regular taxi.

Do you remember who you arranged it through and around how much?

Thanks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom