Interesting article about two of the ocean's top predators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangeBloke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
High speed fish align on design:

Tuna and mako sharks have evolved very similar swimming anatomy despite being separated by millions of years of evolution, the journal Nature reports.

See... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3683885.stm

The article failed to mention the many convergent features between isurids and scombrids that we've long known about, namely body shape, tail design, stiffened fins, stabilizing finlets and keels, and warm-bloodedness. These traits are also found in other high speed pelagics, notably the billfishes. The propulsive musculature convergences are the only actual things the authors are reporting, and while good solid science, really isn't surprising. Hopefully BBC news is responsible for skewing these findings, and not the actual article in Nature.
This BBC article doesn't appear to have been written by an experienced science journalist. There's not a clear topical flow or summation... reminds me of that Discovery Channel special on the Bermuda Triangle I saw this weekend. That thing was all over the place.

archman:
The article failed to mention the many convergent features between isurids and scombrids that we've long known about, namely body shape, tail design, stiffened fins, stabilizing finlets and keels, and warm-bloodedness. These traits are also found in other high speed pelagics, notably the billfishes. The propulsive musculature convergences are the only actual things the authors are reporting, and while good solid science, really isn't surprising. Hopefully BBC news is responsible for skewing these findings, and not the actual article in Nature.
This BBC article doesn't appear to have been written by an experienced science journalist. There's not a clear topical flow or summation... reminds me of that Discovery Channel special on the Bermuda Triangle I saw this weekend. That thing was all over the place.

What aggravated me is it took 40 minutes before they actually did what the title claimed, "DIVE" to the triangle. :p

I was amused that they mentioned several times that the Mako is related to famous Great White.

I guess I should I credit them for not saying "the Mako Shark is related to Jaws..."

mbuff:
I was amused that they mentioned several times that the Mako is related to famous Great White.

They're right on the money here. The great white belongs in the same Family as both mako species, as well as the porbeagle and salmon shark. Lamnidae is a taxonomically distinct clade apart from most other shark species.

The article didn't report any bad science, it just omitted massive amounts of stuff and was badly written. And I loved that gee-whiz comment near the end about possible future technologies in high speed submersibles. Man, if I had a dollar for every time I heard that line...

mbuff:
I guess I should I credit them for not saying "the Mako Shark is related to Jaws..."

Didn't they use a Mako's teeth for Hollywood's Jaws???
I understand the great whites mouth/teeth wasn't menacing enough.

Tony.

If you're referring to the tooth that Richard Dreyfuss recovered from the chomped motorboat in the first movie, that was an actual (or nice facsimile) of a white tooth. I never really paid attention to actual "mouth shots" of the robot models to see if the same style tooth was used.
Great white teeth are pretty characteristic, with the nice isosceles triangle shape and fine serrations. It doesn't follow the standard tooth plans which tend to be either made to catch (and hold) fish, or crush shelled, bottom-dwelling prey. Great white teeth are perfect for creating large avulsive wounds; good for disabling seals and sea lions.
I believe the only other species which has a tooth closely resembling a great white's is that of it's extinct bigger cousin, Carcharocles (Carcharodon) megalodon.

archman:
They're right on the money here. The great white belongs in the same Family as both mako species, as well as the porbeagle and salmon shark. Lamnidae is a taxonomically distinct clade apart from most other shark species.

The article didn't report any bad science, it just omitted massive amounts of stuff and was badly written.

Right... Yeah, I knew they were in the same family... but I don't think that was why the article mentioned the relationship. I think the point was that the Great White is the big scary shark everyone knows, hence put it in the article to draw reader interest. :)

Back
Top Bottom