Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron,

I need some help understanding the OTU calcs and what it means for repetitive diving. I just got back from a live aboard and did 27 dives (5 a day). The OTU read 875 for the final dive with a CNS of 18%. Is the OTU cumulative over the 27 dives or in a 24 hr period? What is the alert level that I should begin to worry about O2 tox? My LDS was no help at so I'm reaching out here.

Don

An OTU's is defined as the equivalent O2 exposure to breathing 100% O2 at 1 ATM for one minute. The safe limit is considered to be 24 hours of exposure (1440 minutes, or 1440 OTU's).
For a recreational open circuit computer like the Cobalt, the OTU number is just a reference. You are unlikely to run into OTU limits on open circuit scuba- for a discussion of why, see this link: First Responder Concerns About Oxygen Toxicity
The OTU clock in the Cobalt resets to zero after 24 hours- this is a convention in the algorithm we are using, which displays the most conservative value, with no "off-gassing" allowance like you have for nitrogen. When you do a lot of dives repetitively, it doesn't have time to reset, and the values accumulate. If someone were taken in for hyperbaric treatment after a week of diving like yours, the OTU's might be something the physicians would want to know, so they could watch for signs of pulmonary toxicity. But as a practical matter for the diver, it's not something you need to be concerned about unless you are well into the tech diving realm. For commercial saturation divers, it's a big deal. For scuba, it's not.
CNS toxicity, on the other hand, is something you should be concerned about when diving repetitively with EAN. The Cobalt will alert if the value exceeds 80%. Anywhere near this and you should be taking an "air break".

Ron

I wanted to post too Ron thanks for being so helpful and making everything right, I wont hesitate to order atomic products in the near future.

Have 3 dives on my Cobalt so far. Once I fondeled one at a scuba flea market I knew I was hooked. It is living up to my expectations big time. The only down side is dive buddy computer envy. This thing generates interest, and everyone wants to check it out at depth. I love it.
As far as a wrist model, I guess it's preference. Me, I have no problem with the integrated console, I cannot dive without a regulator, so no big deal. Also do not need to worry about a transmitter. I continue to use my Oceanic GEO2 on the wrist, it weighs nothing and it serves as a watch all day.
As far as mounting the Cobalt, I used the hose loop it came with and clip it to my BC. Most times I do not even need to move it to see the screen.
Thank you Atomic.............................

After much trial and error I have found a case that fits the Cobalt almost perfectly. Garmin GPS Case at REI.com its not a hard case but it is fuzzy on the inside to protect the screen. Still hopeful about an atomic case, but I can't stop diving waiting for it.

After much trial and error I have found a case that fits the Cobalt almost perfectly. Garmin GPS Case at REI.com its not a hard case but it is fuzzy on the inside to protect the screen. Still hopeful about an atomic case, but I can't stop diving waiting for it.

These were on sale at the Long Beach SCUBA Show this year.
Deep Outdoors Wrist Computer/Watch Deluxe Padded Protective Case 04550 with reviews at scuba.com
It has the advantage of a double zip and so it can zip around the console and stay in place when the console is connected to the hose.

Yeah I bought one of those. it wasn't a very good fit. you could almost put 2 of them in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20110625_132602.jpg
    IMG_20110625_132602.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 694
Last edited:
Have you tried rinsing the keypad vigorously under running water (while repeatedly pressing the buttons) to dislodge any possible junk that's gotten under it? Is the button absolutely not working at all, or just working inconsistently?

It's unlikely that there is anything wrong with the switches themselves. The Cobalt uses magnetic switches on the main circuit board, activated by magnets captured in the soft keypad. There is no physical connection. The switches themselves are incredibly durable and reliable- particularly compared to the typical O-ring sealed shaft- they are, however, sensitive to the alignment of the magnets in the soft keypad. Atomic uses different strength magnets to "tune" the keypad to the switches in assembly. There have certainly been some instances where they got it wrong and the switches worked poorly out of the box, generally that's just a matter of replacing the magnets. Without seeing your computer I can't really tell you the reason why a button would stop working, but the most likely by far is that something is causing the magnet in the soft button to no longer align with the switch when pressed. Atomic has been very accommodating about getting loaners to people who needed them, if a Cobalt needs to be repaired.

Ron

RonR, thanks for your reply. My Cobalt was sent back to Atomic Aquatics for repair on Friday by my authorized local dive shop. The Up button was not working at all. I couldn't get it to work at all over a period of several days. I took your suggestion and rinsed the keypad vigorously under running water only to have the button come off, including the little magnet. I re-seated the magnet and button. The button finally worked, but but the button never went back on properly. It looked like it would come off if I went diving so I took it back to the shop for them to send it in for repair.

As i mentioned, this is not the first Cobalt I have seen with buttons that don't work for whatever reason. My first Cobalt didn't work out of the box, and now my replacement has flaked in such a short time. Perhaps my dive shop got a bad batch? I would like to ensure that the switches, magnets, and buttons on my Cobalt are re-tested and replaced as required. I don't want to have this happen again, especially as I plan to do a lot of diving out of the country.

I dove today (as I have most weekends so far) using a loaner Computer (not a Cobalt). Let's just say that I already miss my Cobalt. I am wondering if I could please get a loaner Cobalt until mine has been repaired? I can provide you with the serial number and Return Authorization number that was obtained from Atomic Aquatics for my Cobalt. Is that something that you would arrange with my dive shop?

Please let me know. Thanks.

-ITGuy

Have 3 dives on my Cobalt so far. Once I fondeled one at a scuba flea market I knew I was hooked. It is living up to my expectations big time. The only down side is dive buddy computer envy. This thing generates interest, and everyone wants to check it out at depth. I love it.
As far as a wrist model, I guess it's preference. Me, I have no problem with the integrated console, I cannot dive without a regulator, so no big deal. Also do not need to worry about a transmitter. I continue to use my Oceanic GEO2 on the wrist, it weighs nothing and it serves as a watch all day.
As far as mounting the Cobalt, I used the hose loop it came with and clip it to my BC. Most times I do not even need to move it to see the screen.
Thank you Atomic.............................

I couldn't stand the factory 'hose loop' thingy, much prefer my custom installed stainless-steel 'clip' instead.

Yeah I bought one of those. it wasn't a very good fit. you could almost put 2 of them in there.

Leisure Pro sells a 'Blue Reef' house brand neoprene console cover @ $ 10.00 that fits the Cobalt so well Atomic should just buy 'em straight from LP and sew on an Atomic logo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom