Khao Lak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bananas75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Afternoon all,

Looking for some general advice........

I've got two weeks in Thailand begining of September so thinking of the Similans. Looks like a good place to leave from is Khao Lak on an LOB for a few days, but are they still in decent nick, or have they been dived out yet?

Also what to do/where to go after......

SO, was wondering,

1) Is Khao Lak raelly over developed or still quite calm? I'm basically looking for a decent beach thats laid back with a party vibe that I can drink copious amounts of beer on.

2) Is it really as wet as the weather predictions make out at that time of the year?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Bananas

Hmm, just read a few threads on this and have realised that Similans and most of the dive operators are closed at that time of year...... Bu**er!

Anyone got any other recommendations for decent diving in Thailand, or should I head to Borneo/Indo?

Cheers

Yeah, bananas75, you got it figured out about Khao Lak in September.
If you are in the market for a liveaboard, you might consider Komodo in Indonesia. You fly into Bali and (in most cases) get a hop to Labuan Bajo. LBJ, however, isn't what I'd term a party town, so you might want to do that part of your holiday right on Bali, where there is plenty of that, particularly in Kuta, though Kuta is really quite developed with lots of big luxury hotels, vendors, hawkers, etc., etc. If you are looking for more of a laid-back party scene, consider the Gili Islands, off Lombok island, also near Bali. You are not going to find much partying in Borneo, though the diving is superb in Malaysian Borneo at Sipadan and Mabul.

Cheers,

Think i'm going to head to Sipadan for six days, have a couple of days looking at trees and stuff in Sabah and then the Peranthians or Tioman for five days.

Bananas

Back
Top Bottom